K
Posted By
kahndav
Aug 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using a Canon 10D, and images taken in Adobe RGB are untagged when opened in PSE. I know that there are ways to use the "Ignore EXIF" utility, or to re-save each image and re-tag it as Adobe RGB. However, this is very laborious – is there a shortcut to properly tag and save an entire folder of images at one time?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
brent bertram
Aug 6, 2003
David,
The problem is that Elements ver 1.0 does not support the EXIF standard, but Elements 2.0 does. If you are on the Mac platform you could use Applescripts to tag the images, but I don’t have a solution for you on the PC platform . Buying Elements 2 would solve your problem, there are pretty good deals available on it , from time to time.

🙂

Brent
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 6, 2003
Brent, did he say he’s on PE1? My 10D (the same camera he’s using) came with PE2…

Chuck
BB
brent bertram
Aug 6, 2003
If that’s the case, then David you need to go to Edit > Color Settings, and select full color management. The images should come in as AdobeRGB images then, for sure . Even in "Limited Color Management" , an image tag should be respected . ( On my display, I read his first sentence as including "PSE1", as opposed to "PSE.I" . My confusion , apparently <G> . I noticed today that I have more grey hair than I previously thought, too . That may account for some of the confusion 🙂 )

I even think the batch utility might do that job, but I haven’t time to try it at the moment. I’d certainly want to be in full color mode and practice on a small folder to see what happens.

Brent
P
Phosphor
Aug 6, 2003
Brent – as I understand it the EXIF tag is either sRGB or nothing at all. It doesn’t tag with AdobeRGB if that was the space it was using. Depending on the camera it may be tagged with sRGB or no tag. No tag is easier!

If it the image coming in as untagged RGB (no sRGB exif tag) then my understanding is that opening it with full colour management on and saving as to attach the AdobesRGB profile is really the only way to go in Elements in the absence of scripts

If the AdobesRGB images have an sRGB tag atttached by the EXIF then you need to install ignore EXIF to strip this off then the pics will be read as untagged RGB, and you can proceed as above.
Out of the box in Elements can’t do this as a batch – it might be worth contacting Richard Lynch who has produced a free custom batching add-on for Elements to see whether it would be possible to write one.
Susan S.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 7, 2003
Susan, the Canon 10D gives you a choice of Standard (which is equivalent to sRGB if I’m reading the manual correctly) and Adobe RGB. It would appear that Elements won’t recognize Adobe RGB as an option, while full Photoshop will. Is that your understanding?
BB
brent bertram
Aug 7, 2003
True, Susan. David’s only chance to have his images as AdobeRGB, is if they are tagged AdobeRGB by the camera, in the file, not the EXIF info ( if you get my differentiation ).

I haven’t seen any PC utility which will do what Photoshop does, that is "assign" a colorspace to an image and save it, or "convert" an image to a chosen colorspace and save the image.

Just a few moments ago, I was trying different schemes ( all unsuccessful ) with Elements, Irfanview and QimagePro to try to come up with a scheme to arrive at David’s hoped for destination. Haven’t found it, yet ! <G>

With Elements, I think David’s only choice is to use Full Color Management , Open the file and save it with the ICC profile box checked. I was hoping to find a circuituous route to batch job that procedure, but I doubt that such a route exists.

🙂

Brent
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 7, 2003
Brent, from the 10D manual:

" Images captured with Adobe RGB will not be appended with the ICC profile. To convert the profile, Adobe RGB must be specified."

Okay……..what in the world does that mean??
BB
brent bertram
Aug 7, 2003
Chuck,
I think that means that the camera uses the AdobeRGB space , but doesn’t mark the file in any way. In Photoshop , you would assign the AdobeRGB profile to the image and then convert, if necessary, to your profile of choice. That, in general, is what I do with my Nikon995 images, although occasionally, depending on lighting conditions, I will assign the ColormatchRGB colorspace and then convert to AdobeRGB .

🙂

Brent
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 7, 2003
Brent, thanks for the response – matches my (marginal) understanding.

It’s just after 10 in the morning in Adelaide, so I suspect Susan will still be up long after you’ve turned in for the night…

🙂

Chuck
BB
brent bertram
Aug 7, 2003
My mom’s in Brisbane, right now, visiting her brother . My guess is, she’s having tea ! ( She’s always having tea ! )

🙂

Brent

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections