CS
Posted By
Chuck Snyder
Jul 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
To Grant and others waiting for the next step closer to a digital competitor for 35 mm film: Leica has announced that they will market a digital back for their Leica R9 35 mm SLR; apparently, it will be a 10 megapixel unit and will attach to the R9 body like a motor drive. Unfortunately, it won’t be cheap (guessing $5k+ for the back alone) and it won’t be marketed until September 2004. More details in an article at the New York Times online site, although that’s a terrible site for spam…

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/03/technology/circuits/03leic .html

Chuck

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Jul 4, 2003
guessing $5k+ for the back alone

Well, I’m safe for a while longer. 8^)
R
Ray
Jul 4, 2003
Let me see… 5K U$ = 6750 C$… Well, what could I buy with that.. ? The entire Adobe design collection (that would be fun!), or a new Mac, fully equiped (that would be equally funny!), a one week trip for two to Fidji Islands (that would be fun, be short), 4500 NestlΓ©’s Drumstick Chocolate/Strawberries (that would definitively fun !), a new 400mm type L with Image Stabilizer Canon lense (that would grab my full attention for a while!)

The choice is difficult.. πŸ™‚

Ray
DS
Dick Smith
Jul 4, 2003
And just when we thought we were safe coveting 10D’s and S2’s…..sigh.
Dick
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 4, 2003
Hi Ray, My fishing buddy just paid about that for a new engine for his boat! His trailer broke, and my husband fixed it for him, so he thinks he saved some $.

That brings up what I am really wanting, a very good digital SLR cam for my husband, as he is a far better photog than I am. This is on our ‘wish list’, and I will start doing some research next winter, and start asking questions here.
Jane
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 4, 2003
Jane, if you’re going to be waiting a while for that digital SLR, the chances are there’ll be more choices and better values, like everything else in the digital world…
Today, the under $2k for SLR’s (with interchangeable lenses) choices are pretty limited: Canon 10D, Fuji S1 Pro, and Nikon D100. Tomorrow….who knows??
πŸ™‚
Chuck
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 4, 2003
Jane, my current camera is "a dream come true".

But… 5K for a boat engine… YIKES !

I guess, that comes ok if you’re really into this hobby, which I far from it (fear of water) πŸ™‚

And Chuck is right. The longer you wait, the better the camera will be. Else, for the same budget with today’s top liners, you’ll end up with some accessories, kind of for free (i.e. an external flash, a better lense, etc.)

Ray
P.S. Jane… 2 days before next class begins… :)))))
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 4, 2003
Hi Ray, These classes are going to really be fun!
(I must install my EyeCandy,Xenoflex,Splat package this weekend.) Here is our daughter, son-in-law, and dog in one of their boats, this one has a huge new V8 in it. BlackBoat <http://www.pbase.com/image/2064891>
He is having problems with the cooling system, so it is sitting in our back yard until he has time to fix it. Something with the heat exchanger or whatcheveryoucallit.

Hi Chuck, Yes, the Nikon D100 is on the top of our wish list so far. Interchangeable lenses is a must for him. We will see what Christmastime brings.
He wants to take PSE ‘lessons’ from me, and I think thats a good idea, it would help me learn too. Lots of upcoming projects!
Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 4, 2003
Jane…water… "Danger Danger Will Robinson.." πŸ™‚

(Repeat that with the voice of the Robot in Lost In Space, original series..!)

Ray
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 4, 2003
Probably it is a right decision to wait for a new generation of digital SLR cameras. The main problem of todays cameras is the small exposure latitude. The new Fuji chip seems to be quite an improvement. Today I received my new small 3.1 Mp Fuji with this new chip. i didnot have time to look at it, but I’m anxious to try it.

Now I’m waiting for the S3 Pro with this chip to replace my "old" S2 Pro. ;-))

Leen

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections