Posted By
deepakdatta
Oct 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi! I am New to photoshop & want help.

The digital photo(jpg) has the rug & the surrounding floor showing as well. What I want to do is cut the digital photo(jpg) & create a new one that will have only the rug without the floor/surroundings etc.

Simple steps/tips would be very much appreticated.

Thanks & Best Regards,

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
JJS
Oct 27, 2003
"deepak" wrote in message

The digital photo(jpg) has the rug & the surrounding floor showing as well. What I want to do is cut the digital photo(jpg) & create a new one that will have only the rug without the floor/surroundings etc.

Call me grumpy, but how does a person spend hundreds of dollars on a software package and expect to avoid reading the damned manual? More dollars than sense?
J
JD
Oct 27, 2003
Apparently… You just buy the software and it does all the hard tasks for you. NO? Whoever thought everyone in the world who could buy, borrow or steal PhotoShop could also understand the God awful manual, is sadly mistaken.

If the Manual was just understandable, it would help. If it actually provided the information on all PS’s tasks, it would be better but if it came with the student version of PS… Well, hey, we might all be able pick at those who ask a simple question and expect a simple answer. I’m talking to you, you grumpy creature!

Simple answer:
Use the magnetic lasso tool to trace the image. Right click the area selected and feather the edges. Play around with duplicate images until you get the hang of it. Invert the mask and press the delete key. What’s so hard about that, Grumpy?

HP

——————————————

"JJS" wrote in message
Call me grumpy, but how does a person spend hundreds of dollars on a software package and expect to avoid reading the damned manual? More
dollars
than sense?

JK
JP Kabala
Oct 27, 2003
Is the rug rectangular? Have you tried the crop tool? Or the selection tools?
There are about a dozen different ways to do this, but it depends on
a) what the original photo looks like (perspective, composition, etc)
b) what you want to do with the resulting image
c) how much contrast there is between the floor and the rug

If you can post the image somewhere and post a link, I can give you a more intelligent answer.

Thanks & Best Regards,
J
JJS
Oct 27, 2003
"JD" wrote in message
Apparently… You just buy the software and it does all the hard tasks for you. NO? Whoever thought everyone in the world who could buy, borrow or steal PhotoShop could also understand the God awful manual, is sadly mistaken.

The keywords there are "borrow or steal". Does he even have a manual? No? Then press HELP in the menu.

[…]
Simple answer:
Use the magnetic lasso tool to trace the image. Right click the area selected and feather the edges. Play around with duplicate images until
you
get the hang of it. Invert the mask and press the delete key. What’s so
hard
about that, Grumpy?

Nothing hard about that, except that it is an insipid and a total waste of Photoshop and just flat does not work worth a damn. You can do that stuff with almost any POS software. So why not guide him to software that comes with the camera? That fits your requisites for simple.

Now try talking to someone who cares.
D
deepakdatta
Oct 28, 2003
Hello JP, below is example of what I want to be able to do.

http://www.karyasoft.com/JAI000002.jpg (Original)

http://www.karyasoft.com/JAI000002_oe.jpg(End products)

What are the steps I can take to convert such original photo’s to the end product? Thanks & Best Regards, Deepak

"JP Kabala" …
If you can post the image somewhere and post a link, I can give you a more intelligent answer.

Thanks & Best Regards,
L
LoboMike
Oct 28, 2003
Sorry JJS but you must care, otherwise why respond?

FWIW I think the purpose of this newsgroup is to help use PS, right? As a newbie to digital & PS I truly appreciate those offering suggestions/answers as I find the manual & help option less than lucid.

From a retiree who made a career with computers & software YMMV & IMHO, —
LoboMike

"It don’t take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep."

"JJS" wrote in message
"JD" wrote in message
Apparently… You just buy the software and it does all the hard tasks
for
you. NO? Whoever thought everyone in the world who could buy, borrow or steal PhotoShop could also understand the God awful manual, is sadly mistaken.

The keywords there are "borrow or steal". Does he even have a manual? No? Then press HELP in the menu.

[…]
Simple answer:
Use the magnetic lasso tool to trace the image. Right click the area selected and feather the edges. Play around with duplicate images until
you
get the hang of it. Invert the mask and press the delete key. What’s so
hard
about that, Grumpy?

Nothing hard about that, except that it is an insipid and a total waste of Photoshop and just flat does not work worth a damn. You can do that stuff with almost any POS software. So why not guide him to software that comes with the camera? That fits your requisites for simple.

Now try talking to someone who cares.

N
nospam
Oct 28, 2003
In article <pkunb.7241$>,
"LoboMike" wrote:

Sorry JJS but you must care, otherwise why respond?

FWIW I think the purpose of this newsgroup is to help use PS, right? As a newbie to digital & PS I truly appreciate those offering suggestions/answers as I find the manual & help option less than lucid.

From a retiree who made a career with computers & software YMMV & IMHO,

If you worked with computers and software until you retired, then you must have read documentation. I’ve worked with computers (programmer, sysop, database admin) for over twenty-five years, and before that was a career photojournalist and editor. Somewhere along the line I learned the value of written documentation, guides, tips. You should, too.

Hint for your problem "Crop". Duh. (Or perspective control + crop) or better yet, "It’s easier to make the picture right to begin with."
T
tacitr
Oct 28, 2003
What are the steps I can take to convert such original photo’s to the end product? Thanks & Best Regards, Deepak

The end product you showed was simply cropped with the Crop tool.

However, your beginning shot was taken from a different angle, and the perspective is skewed. You can fix the perspective in Photoshop–but if you are not familiar with Photoshop, it will be easier and fater for you to hang the rug on a vertical surface and photograph it again.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
JK
JP Kabala
Oct 29, 2003
OK, that’s pretty simple, actually— you’re not looking (evidently) for a lot of precision

Duplicate your background layer and hide the original

Start by using the crop tool — if you’re using version seven it’s the third one down from the top on the left side of the toolbar and drag out a rectangle that encompasses the entire rug, but as little of the surrounding area as possible.

When you get it adjusted, click the checkmark icon on the top right hand side of the tool options bar that runs across the screen right under the menus.

Now, in your picture, because of the camera angle
you’re going to have to reshape to get it back to a rectangular shape — that means using the free transform.
Press CTRL+T and you’ll see a bounding box around the rectangle you cut out of the layer
Transform has several modes. You can change mode by right-clicking and selecting the one you want from th context menu)
Scale (grab any handle to make it larger or smaller)
Skew (grab the center handles on any side to turn a rectangle into a parallelogram)
Rotate (self evident, except that you click OUTSIDE the bounding box to get a curved arrow icon)
Distort- (which allows you to grab any corner and drag it to the proper position)
and
Perspective- (which transforms rectangles to trapezoids– if you grab a corner and pull out,
the opposite corner moves outward as well, push in, and the opposite corner moves in)

You may want to use guides to line your corners up.
When you’re done, click the checkmark icon on the
top right hand side of the tool options bar that runs across the screen right under the menus.

When you are done, you may want to re-crop the image.

Have fun

Hello JP, below is example of what I want to be able to do.
http://www.karyasoft.com/JAI000002.jpg (Original)

http://www.karyasoft.com/JAI000002_oe.jpg(End products)

"JP Kabala" wrote in message
news:<J%gnb.15487$>…

Thanks & Best Regards,
D
deepakdatta
Oct 29, 2003
Thanks Tactit I used prespective, it was very helpful.

(Tacit) wrote in message news:…

The end product you showed was simply cropped with the Crop tool.
However, your beginning shot was taken from a different angle, and the perspective is skewed. You can fix the perspective in Photoshop–but if you are not familiar with Photoshop, it will be easier and fater for you to hang the rug on a vertical surface and photograph it again.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections