JR
Posted By
Jonathan_Ramsdell
Aug 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Am having a problem with Photoshop 7.01 in that the gray work area isn’t being drawn when I start up Photoshop in XP Pro SP1. This only happens when Photoshop is not run full-screen — it’s fine when full-screen. I recently switched video cards, but it also occurred with my old card, so that’s not likely to be the culprit. It happens at 800×600 and at 1024×768. Changing the Windows default color depth doesn’t seem to make any difference. I’ve never seen this happen in Windows 98SE. As I said, when I click the full-screen button, the background work area is its normal, gray self, but when smaller than full-screen, the work area just disappears. Any clues as to what’s going on? It has happened once before, but I don’t recall the circumstances. Doom 3 was just installed, but the problem happened prior to its install. I’ve reinstalled the 7.01 update, and the problem remains. I’m stumped. Everything else, including ZoomText 8.04, works fine. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BobLevine
Aug 16, 2004
Sounds like a video driver issue to me. Turn hardware acceleration down to zero as a test. If that fixes it, turn it back up and get a new driver.

Bob
JR
Jonathan_Ramsdell
Aug 16, 2004
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I’m using a PNY Verto Nvidia-based 440 MX 8x card with the newest Nvidia drivers. My machine’s an Athlon 3200+ on an Abit NF7-S, with 512Mb of PC2700 (dual channel). As I said previously, it’s running Windows XP SP1, updated to current. Using the default monitor (NEC 19" Multisynch 95). I’d appreciate any suggestions. I can always reinstall Photoshop, but I’d like to know the cause, and if others have had similar problems. Thanks.
Jon
JR
Jonathan_Ramsdell
Aug 16, 2004
Thanks, Bob, but I’d already tried that — no joy. I think I’ll see if I can revert to an older version of the Nvidia graphics driver. The driver I’m currently using is the Unified driver for the Nforce chipset, dated July 15 (I think). Since everything else works, I may have to learn to use Photoshop in full-screen mode.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 16, 2004
the work area just disappears.

i’m not sure what that means. can you explain or elaborate?
B
BobLevine
Aug 16, 2004
i’m not sure what that means. can you explain or elaborate?

From the description I’d say it gives a Mac-like look right to the desktop.

Bob
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 16, 2004
Or Jonathan means that in stead of showing the grey background, the PS window is transparent, showing the desktop through it.
Rob
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 16, 2004
I’ve had it happen to me before when things get all screwy. I know that on my machine (Win98) Photoshop and MS Publisher HATE each other. One sure way to make it happen is to copy and paste between these two applications a couple of times.

Then what happens is photoshop either completely disappears and does not show up in the task manager, or when it appears, I get all the toolbars and menus, but the workarea is transparent so that I can see my desktop.

I need to shut everything down and reboot.

It hasn’t happened in a long time since I know about MS Publisher and Photoshop, but from the description, it sounds like his desktop is showing through in what would be the work area of PS.

<shrug> Gremlins.

Peace,
Tony
JR
Jonathan_Ramsdell
Aug 17, 2004
Yes, that’s exactly what it means. And, yes, I’ve seen that on a Mac. Same thing.
JR
Jonathan_Ramsdell
Aug 17, 2004
That could be the problem. Thanks. It never occurred to me that the two programs could be fighting it out. Although I haven’t used MS Publisher 2003, I do have it installed — along with the rest of Office 2003. If there’s a toss-up between the two programs, I’ll definitely ditch MS Orifice to keep Photoshop.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 17, 2004
smooth move tony!
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 17, 2004
smooth move tony

Well, maybe premature Dave, but thanks.

Jonathan,

The ONLY time I have that problem is when copy/pasting between the applications, meaning that they are both open. Caveat emptor.

Peace,
Tony
JR
Jonathan_Ramsdell
Aug 17, 2004
Tony,
That wasn’t the case in my situation, but I think you may be right — there seems to be some basic incompatibility between the two programs. After uninstalling both the offending MS Office program and Photoshop, I reinstalled just Photoshop, then applied the 7.01 update. I did not reinstall MS Producer, but I did let the Office installer go thorough and fix what programs were left. Problem solved. Thanks for the great suggestion — since I never use Producer, it’d have taken me a long time to have figured out that was the problem. Thanks, again!
Jon
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 17, 2004
Wow, thanks for posting back Jon. That’s a good tidbit to stick away in the memory banks.

Glad my suggestion helped.

Peace,
Tony
JR
Jonathan_Ramsdell
Aug 25, 2004
Sorry — I meant to say that I’d uninstalled MS Publisher, not MS "Producer." At any rate, it’s gone, I don’t miss it, and Photoshop now works as it should. Again, thanks!
Jon
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 25, 2004
<nodding> Anytime.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections