Possible OT: New to Mac – No Grey ‘Work Area’ in Photoshop?

H
Posted By
harvcraven
Aug 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Having worked for years on a PC, I’m accustomed to seeing a blank ‘grey’ area that fills the screen, hiding the desktop, when Photoshop is opened. Now I own a Mac (I am so green it’s embarrassing; learning a new OS is not too easy, but not as hard as it was to learn on PC) — can anyone tell me if it’s a ‘Mac’ thing to see your desktop and any other open windows when working in an open application? It’s really distracting and I cannot find any preferences to adjust. Basically I don’t want to see anything but the normal PS palettes and open documents.

Please help, TIA

Harv

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Aug 4, 2006
This is the way Macs work and it’s one of the features we like best.

Hit F to work in full screen mode, if you’d like.
E
eltee
Aug 4, 2006
and hit F again and again to learn more about the Mac
BB
by_Buko
Aug 4, 2006
See those 3 little buttons at the bottom of the tool bar.
H
harvcraven
Aug 4, 2006
Ramon — thanks for the reply, however I’m not looking to work full screen mode (I can do that on a PC too) because then it only allows me to see one file at a time. Sometimes I have multiple files open within PS; on the Mac this is when I see my desktop and any other apps that are open. All I want is for PS to take up the full screen so I cannot see anything else.

Is this clear as mud? Would a screenshot help? Is this because I have a trial version of PS?

TIA

Harv
E
eltee
Aug 4, 2006
option click on the desktop from other applications, hides them (most PC users I know have no idea how many programs run in the background; I do, I’m in control : )
H
harvcraven
Aug 4, 2006
Update — I believe this is a feature of MacOSX… could just take a while for me to get used to seeing the desktop all the time.

Like I said, I’m a totally green Mac user 😉

Harv
E
eltee
Aug 4, 2006
welcome!
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2006
Harv,

This is what I wrote in post #1:

This is the way Macs work and it’s one of the features we like best. 🙂
E
eltee
Aug 4, 2006
that… and:
when moving to Arizona from New York City (for health reasons), don’t take your… plants with you (you’d be susceptible to many of the old allergies : )
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2006
when moving to Arizona from New York City

You didn’t! … 8|
E
eltee
Aug 4, 2006
I love my (well, my wife’s) plants, so no, I didn’t : )
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2006
Didn’t move to Arizona? …or didn’t get rid of the plants?
E
eltee
Aug 4, 2006
both
(sorry for the confusion!)
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 4, 2006
Set your desktop to an image of plain grey. You can create that in Photoshop easily and make it the exact grey you want. That way you will always have the grey background instead of what you are seeing now.

I never notice the desktop showing through, being used to Macs, but I do leave it at a fairly neutral blue shade that doesn’t distract from the photos I have open in Photoshop.
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Aug 4, 2006
You can set your Finder preferences to not show disk icons on the Desktop (and of course don’t add your own), which along with the gray Desktop image, will essentially give you a clean and non distracting background. You can make the dock disappear also if you wish.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 4, 2006
option-command D, to make the dock disappear.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 4, 2006
And the reasons Mac users like it like that…

It’s very easy to switch between open applications, and you can drag images back and forth between some application document windows, such as Photoshop and Illustrator. Not impossible, but difficult to do on a PC.
H
harvcraven
Aug 5, 2006
Thanks everyone for the advice; I’m sure I’ll fit in soon enough.

Harv

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections