K
Posted By
Ken
Nov 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. I have a question about adjustment layers. Are they affected by the bit-depth of the document? It is my guess that they are not since the controls only offer 8-bit values to work with.

The goal is to reduce 16-bit layered files to 8-bit and save to disk using a scaled-down image. Should corrections be needed later, then the 16-bit full size image is still available (in the camera RAW format) and then the adjustment layers can be copied back from the scaled 8-bit image. I am not concerned with any issues regarding resolution or bit-depth of layer masks…

Does anyone see anyting wrong with this workflow?

Is there any documentation anywhere that states whether adjustment layers are bit-depth dependent or not?

Thanks!

Ken

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BP
Barry Pearson
Nov 21, 2006
On Nov 20, 2:40 pm, "Ken" wrote:
Hello. I have a question about adjustment layers. Are they affected by the bit-depth of the document? It is my guess that they are not since the controls only offer 8-bit values to work with.

The goal is to reduce 16-bit layered files to 8-bit and save to disk using a scaled-down image. Should corrections be needed later, then the 16-bit full size image is still available (in the camera RAW format) and then the adjustment layers can be copied back from the scaled 8-bit image. I am not concerned with any issues regarding resolution or bit-depth of layer masks…

Although you are not concerned with that, for the sake of anyone else the layer mask bit-depth appears to be the same as that of the image itself. (They can take up twice as much file space in the 16-bit case for the same number of pixels).

Does anyone see anyting wrong with this workflow?

If you are not worried about the loss of quality of the layer masks, I think this will work. I use a related method – I do ACR raw conversion at 8-bit, not 16-bit, for use in Photoshop, for efficiency. (I ran tests that showed no relevant difference for my images, as long as I get a good histogram in ACR). If I need 16-bit working later, I can reconvert at 16-bit and remake the image in the way you suggest. (However, I keep all the pixels). Needless to say, I would also need to redo any pixel-changes, such as cloning & patching! It is not something I want, or expect, to do often.

Since I create my layer masks while working in 8-bit, I am not in the position of throwing away their quality by converting from 16-bit to 8-bit, then wanting it back.

Is there any documentation anywhere that states whether adjustment layers are bit-depth dependent or not?

I haven’t seen any documentation on this, but my brief tests tell me that, when I copy adjustment layers between 8-bit and 16-bit images, I get the same values in the adjustment dialogue boxes in both images. What else matters?

Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
K
Ken
Nov 21, 2006
Barry Pearson wrote:

I haven’t seen any documentation on this, but my brief tests tell me that, when I copy adjustment layers between 8-bit and 16-bit images, I get the same values in the adjustment dialogue boxes in both images. What else matters?

I tend to agree. What matters though, regarding the documentation, is to provide a valid reason to my supervisors for suggesting a change in their workflow that they have established. I’m pretty sure I’m right, but it would help to back up my opinion with some technical data.

Ken

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections