Posted By
john_danilson
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using elements 2.0.

I have two pictures of groups which I want to merge. I can combine the images using layers w/o any problem, however, one of the images was taken much closer than the other, so I need to adjust it "back", that is resize it so that it resembles the first image in terms of size (of the people for example). Optimally, I’d like the combined image to appear as if all the people were present at the same time and place. (Next time I’ll tell the late-comers they just don’t get in the picture!)

I’ve searched the forums and tried several things in elements, but cannot seem to get this down. Am I missing something or is this something I need CS for?

thanks in advance.
John.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BG
Byron Gale
Jun 17, 2004
John,

Give this a try… on the image that needs to be "shrunk", use the Free Transform (CTRL-T) tool.

With the tool active, hold SHIFT while you resize by dragging a corner of the image. You can also re-position the layer while using Transform. If you like it, click the green checkmark to accept the changes, or click the red circle/slash to cancel.

HTH,

Byron
JD
john_danilson
Jun 18, 2004
Byron,

Aboslutely fabulous. Worked exactly as I needed it.

Now, if you have time….

I have the two images in layers and they have the right size. What I want to do is position the small group behind the large group, eliminate the backgroud from the small group, and have it blend in with the other images. (This make any sense?)

I fooled around with opacity and tried to find a "clear" eraser to no avail.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

thanks so much for the assistance so far.

John
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jun 18, 2004
Here’s one way to tackle the problem.

1) Duplicate the layer with the larger group. Call it "background" and put it on the bottom of the stack.
2) Erase the background from the layer containing the smaller group, and put it just above the layer called background.
3) The original "large group" layer should be on top. Set the opacity to about 60% (so you can see through to the layer with the small group).
4) Erase portions of the top layer so you can see the small group.
5) Return the top layer to 100% opacity

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections