EC
Posted By
eddie_caruso
Jan 8, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have all of my own keyboard shortcuts for adjustment layers, and when I am finished i hit enter and the dialogue disappears. very easy, very little mousing around. but now with cs4 the adjustment panel opens and after i make my settings it will not go away unless i move it or double click the tab, etc. much more convoluted and very annoying. is there a way to get back to the way cs3 worked? i have a second monitor where i keep panels like layers, history, paths, info, etc always open but i do not want to keep the adjustment panel open all of the time. i liked the old way b/c it would pop open then after i hit enter it would go away.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Jan 8, 2009
There are many existing threads on this issue. Search for adjustment panel. Join the club.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 8, 2009
Just make the Adjustment Panel free-floating and give it a Keyboard F-key short-cut: one click and it’s gone!
EC
eddie caruso
Jan 8, 2009
Ann-
can you explain how to set this f-key shortcut? Are you saying I have to use the f-keys for my curve, level, etc adjustment shortcuts? so will the adjustment panel automatically collapse?

obviously these interface changes were made with new users in mind, to bad for us that have been using the program for years.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 8, 2009
I prefer to have all of my CS4 palettes free-floating and not docked in a side panel.

Then go to the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog and create your own shortcuts for each palette.

You could also create a Configurator Panel but at the moment there seems to be no way to make a Configurator button for the Adjustment Panel.
EC
eddie caruso
Jan 9, 2009
that helped alot. i didn’t know i could assigned shortcuts to panels. i made one to close the whole panel and it disappears.

but i found that if i am working on in the dialogue and decide to reset the adjustment layer and cancel out because maybe i changed my mind or didn’t need it, it still puts the adjustment layer in my layer stack. so there is an extra adjustment layer with no adjustments that i have to go and manually delete. if in cs3 you decided to cancel the adjustment layer it didn’t add it to the stack anyway.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 9, 2009
From the re-action that I got from John Nack in his blog, Adobe are mighty proud of their new-born Adjustment Panel (and overly-sensitive to any criticism of their baby!) so I reckon we are just going to have to learn to live with it!

But it IS too big, ugly and in-your-face, and totally unnecessary anyway!
R
Ram
Jan 9, 2009
If I didn’t have that sucker on my second monitor, it would frustrate me too…
T
T._Schmidt
Jan 10, 2009
"so I reckon we are just going to have to learn to live with it!"

What kind of attitude is that Ann, I didn’t expect it from you. Giving up already? This takes almost no work for Adobe to fix, they can keep their panel and in addition to that offer us the old way.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 10, 2009
Just reality T!

This sort of thing doesn’t normally get changed in a dot release so we just have to find our own work-around; and a quick strike of F5 now evaporates my Adjustment Panel instantly.
DK
Doug_Katz
Jan 11, 2009
Ms. Shelbourne has reason for her brutal realism. She’s been asking for a two-column, scrollable history palette (er panel) since 1963.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 11, 2009
Indeed. But I am hopeful that it really is scheduled for CS10.
T
T._Schmidt
Jan 11, 2009
You do realize that – since it’s a work in progress – the next step will be to completely get rid of the old dialog and force you to use the Adjustment Panel.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections