KT
Posted By
Ken_Tannenbaum
Dec 31, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I frequently choose to erase part of a curves adjustment layer and find that most of the time I can, but occasionally, the curves layer won’t erase at all. What am I missing or doing incorrectly? Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
paradoxmoon
Dec 31, 2006
Try a paint brush. Hit the X key if it still doesn’t work.
KT
Ken_Tannenbaum
Dec 31, 2006
Paradoxmoon….that did work and thanx. Still, I don’t get why choosing the eraser tool won’t consistently do the same thing. After all, it is called an eraser and I would think ought to erase an adjustment layer. It works about half the time.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 31, 2006
The Eraser tool "erases" to the background color. So if your background color is white and the mask is white, it’s not erasing anything. Note, the default is a black foreground and white background.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 31, 2006
Note as well…you are not erasing an Adjustment Layer, you are masking it.
P
paradoxmoon
Dec 31, 2006
Ignoring greyscale for the moment, think of the adjustment layer mask as containing either Something or Nothing. You can’t erase Nothing and you can’t paint Something on Something.

That little bit of info will help you understand the mechanics of adjustment layers and as a bonus will complete your zen training.

: )
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 1, 2007
Ken in practical terms there is nothing wrong wit using the eraser too l to do this I use it as well. The problem is that if you find it not erasing two possibilities one you have to hit the x key as with the paint brush or you have a selection active. I always hit the command D keys before proceeding in case a have an active selection I can’t see on screen.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections