R
Posted By
Rob
Sep 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use a desktop for all my editing with Photoshop. In my photography, I feel that a laptop on site would help me out tremendously. I have looked hard to try to figure out which laptop would offer the best screen at editing in and around $1400. If anyone could give me some insight on this, I would very much appreciate it. To much to choose from and to confusing. Please post

Thanks
Rob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

A
Aaron
Sep 15, 2006
Rob wrote:
I use a desktop for all my editing with Photoshop. In my photography, I feel that a laptop on site would help me out tremendously. I have
looked
hard to try to figure out which laptop would offer the best screen at editing in and around $1400. If anyone could give me some insight on
this,
I would very much appreciate it. To much to choose from and to
confusing.
Please post

Thanks
Rob

You can pick up a refurbished Apple Powerbook for under $1,400 that would probably suit you. I use a 15" 1.2 GHz Powerbook G4 for some limited photo editing (much prefer the desktop), and it’s definitely serviceable and convenient. Sure, it’s not a speed demon, but I have the display calibrated (using the Monaco EZcolor Optix) and it’s quite accurate enough.

I’m not sure about PC laptops these days. I’m really divided on this new "shiny screen" they’re all shipping with. I guess the new Macbook Pros are using it as well… It does make the image SEEM clearer, but it also reflects damn near anything around you, which I find distracting.

Aaron

"Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." — John Stuart Mill
B
black5514
Sep 15, 2006
Rob wrote:
I use a desktop for all my editing with Photoshop. In my photography, I feel that a laptop on site would help me out tremendously. I have looked hard to try to figure out which laptop would offer the best screen at editing in and around $1400. If anyone could give me some insight on this, I would very much appreciate it. To much to choose from and to confusing. Please post

Thanks
Rob

I like the Mac but have a PC for work. I’m using a Dell 1405 w/1g, 150 HDD and R-W CD/DVD Burner. I’ve loaded photoshop 7.0 and it is very usable for me.
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 15, 2006
Rob wrote:
I use a desktop for all my editing with Photoshop. In my photography, I feel that a laptop on site would help me out tremendously. I have looked hard to try to figure out which laptop would offer the best screen at editing in and around $1400. If anyone could give me some insight on this,
I would very much appreciate it. To much to choose from and to confusing.
Please post

I’ve been using a Dell Inspiron 6000, with an extra gig of memory, for over a year now and it’s great. Blazingly fast (compared to my old system), and I like the extra screen space. This notebook is going for around 800- 900 US dollars, slightly faster than my system:
1.5GHz Pentium M, 512MB DDR2, 40GB, DVD/CD-RW

One thing I would consider, though, would be weight. You may want to go with a physically smaller notebook for portability. In choosing the configuration, all other things being equal, for Photoshop ignore the display adapter, and get as fast a processor as you can, since this is not an upgradeable option. Memory, disk, and even the DvD drive are easy to upgrade later.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
JE
Josh Edgar
Sep 16, 2006
I use a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4114 with the TruBrite screen. The screen is really nice for just typing code for web design but its also nice when you’re zooming in to edit in Photoshop at like 600%.
U
UncleGus
Sep 18, 2006
Aaron,
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=339041& coid=-30597&seg=HHO

Toshiba Sattelite P105 S6022 for $1199 . . . . twice the notebook my Sattelite A75 S2292 is that I bought at Costco a year ago for $1690. My friend in Oregon bought it last week and I am jealous. Toshiba the best service 24/7 as I sent the A75 back a week ago, free 2 day UPS, new motherboard in 5 days free of charge under extended warranty

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I didn’t have the A75.

FWIW

Gus

Aaron wrote:
Rob wrote:
I use a desktop for all my editing with Photoshop. In my photography, I feel that a laptop on site would help me out tremendously. I have
looked
hard to try to figure out which laptop would offer the best screen at editing in and around $1400. If anyone could give me some insight on
this,
I would very much appreciate it. To much to choose from and to
confusing.
Please post

Thanks
Rob

You can pick up a refurbished Apple Powerbook for under $1,400 that would probably suit you. I use a 15" 1.2 GHz Powerbook G4 for some limited photo editing (much prefer the desktop), and it’s definitely serviceable and convenient. Sure, it’s not a speed demon, but I have the display calibrated (using the Monaco EZcolor Optix) and it’s quite accurate enough.

I’m not sure about PC laptops these days. I’m really divided on this new "shiny screen" they’re all shipping with. I guess the new Macbook Pros are using it as well… It does make the image SEEM clearer, but it also reflects damn near anything around you, which I find distracting.

Aaron

"Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." — John Stuart Mill
B
Beeder
Sep 19, 2006
On the "super cheap" side, I use a Satellite L25 on occasion (around $549 U.S.!) with an added 1GB of memory (for a total of 1.2GB, bringing the total cost to about $599) with Photoshop CS2 with nary a hiccup. True, it has one of those "shiny" screens, but I find it’s not so sensitive to color changes when viewed slightly off-angle. I’ve had great luck with batch processing. Only downside is that the HD is only 40GB.
A
Aaron
Sep 19, 2006
Beeder wrote:
On the "super cheap" side, I use a Satellite L25 on occasion (around $549 U.S.!) with an added 1GB of memory (for a total of 1.2GB, bringing the total cost to about $599) with Photoshop CS2 with nary a hiccup. True, it has one of those "shiny" screens, but I find it’s not so sensitive to color changes when viewed slightly off-angle. I’ve had great luck with batch processing. Only downside is that the HD is only 40GB.

Satellites, in my opinion, are a bargain. They have a pretty good "anecdotal" reputation, which is to say that I’ve used a couple and I think their build quality and performance are quite good for the price. That was years ago, though, so I will officially defer to the parent posters on the recent models.

Aaron

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections