CS
Posted By
Corey_Stevens
Sep 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to buy a new laptop, but do not know if I should go vista 64 and 4 gigs or vista 32 and 3 gigs. Will CS3 run any differently on the two? Would both use the same RAM, since CS3 is only 32? Or would the OS use the remaining 4th gig?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John Joslin
Sep 20, 2008
I’d go for 64 and 4. Definitely!
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 20, 2008
You can get Vista 32 with 4G as well, but I would go for the 64 bit version because the distribution of the ram can be configured better with the 64 bit programs.

I am curious as to the laptop use, however, unless you intend to use an external monitor. Laptops screen do not impress me at all for PS.
CS
Corey_Stevens
Sep 20, 2008
Actually yes, I want to use an external monitor. One of them, being my TV, if it calibrates good. A Samsung 52" A650. If I use HDMI input, I have control over it’s RBG and brightness and contrast. If I just use VGA, it goes into "PC" mode, and blocks RGB and such. 🙁

Question for you guys. Will 64bit vs 32bit matter when running older programs, such as Iview, and other photography programs? I hope they all run on vista 🙁
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 20, 2008
Will 64bit vs 32bit matter when running older programs… ?

There’s no single answer. A surprising number will run under Vista 64. My 1998 PIM runs faultlessly.
DM
dave_milbutucci
Sep 20, 2008
on a laptop? see if xp is an option.
CS
Corey_Stevens
Sep 20, 2008
ya, as far as I can see, XP is no longer an option, or I would seriously consider it.
DM
dave_milbutucci
Sep 21, 2008
just make sure you have the horsepower for whatever flavor of vista you get. if you CAN swing the horsepower, i agree with the above, go with vista 64.
DM
dave_milbutucci
Sep 21, 2008
hmm… amazon has both home and pro versions for sale still (full version of course). was it just OEM’s that stopped shipping it? if you want xp, see if you can get a laptop with no OS installed ang get xp from amazon or other retailer (don’t go to resellers or ebay!) or you can get the system and keep the vista license and still get xp.

< http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps& amp;field-keywords=windows+xp&x=0&y=0>
CS
Corey_Stevens
Sep 21, 2008
I actually have a full retail version of XP, with license that I could use. So I could just get the 64bit Vista, then partition the HD, and install XP as well, then run which ever I want when I boot up? If so, I think that is what I will do. I want a Dell, so a laptop with no OS is probably not an option, and with a 320gig HD, I would have plenty of room for this, since I also use two external HD, when I archive my photos.
DM
dave_milbutucci
Sep 21, 2008
you might be able to get them to sell you no OS if you go through the small business side of the web site instead of the consumer/home side…
DM
dave_milbutucci
Sep 21, 2008
I probably wouldn’t bother dual booting a laptop, unless that was my only system.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections