SN
Posted By
Sandra_Niemann
Aug 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am preparing to purchase a laptop computer and would appreciate help in specifying the requirements. I use:
Windows XP
Creative Suite Standard (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) Acrobat 5
CorelDraw 8
Microsoft Office 2000
Pagemaker 7

Some jobs I do are 80 pages in length with each page full of high-res photos and graphics for print publishing. One current file is over 800 megs. Is it possible to get a laptop that will handle all this? Thanks so much for your help. Sandy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobLevine
Aug 25, 2004
800 megs? For a pagelayout file? The only way I can think to get a file that big in PM or ID is by embedding images. A very poor workflow, if that’s the case.

You should be linking images, and saving your document as chapters.

As far as system specs, fast processor, lots of RAM.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 25, 2004
Be warned that with a Laptop LCD Screen, you may be "calibration challenged" from a color management standpoint.

Oh, and the hard drive is critical – not only size, but fast – fastest you can install.
SN
Sandra_Niemann
Aug 25, 2004
Robert, sorry I misled you. The images are not embedded; however, I am still dealing with over 800 megs total, including the links. Thanks for the input. YrbkMgr, thanks also.
PH
Photo_Help
Aug 25, 2004
Sandra,

A laptop with the option of adding a docking station is a good idea as well. Especially if you want to hook several devices to it while in the office. This will give you the ability to add a printer, external hard drive, monitor, full size keyboard and a mouse without having to disconnect multiple devices every time you need to take your computer somewhere.

Fast hard drive, A lot of memory, Decent video card, A Fast processor is also a good idea but probably not the most important thing when deciding where to put your money (depending of course on how you use your software).
SN
Sandra_Niemann
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks, Photo Help, I’m going to print out the advice and take it with me when I go to buy the computer.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 26, 2004
Make sure, even if you don’t get it now, that you can add RAM at LEAST up to 1 Gigabyte. Many laptops are limited in the space for plugging in more memory.

By the way I have never had any problems with colour matching using the LCD screen of my Sony Vaio.

Cheers – John

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections