Posted By
Thomas_Ireland
Jul 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings all,

The information for my images in Photoshop CS seems confused in the browser metadata window. The images were taken 4/14/2003. I know this to be a fact. But the display shows they were created on 9/15/2003, and modified on 4/14/2003.

What’s up with this? Why is the creation date wrong? They clearly show a creation/modified date in Windows Explorer of 4/14/2003, as they should.

How can they be modified BEFORE they were created?

How can I get PS CS to properly display the data?

Thanks for the help.

Tom Ireland

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 8, 2004
But the display shows they were created on 9/15/2003, and modified on 4/14/2003.

is that the date you copied them to your computer? either from the camera or from a backup? if so, then they were created, physically, on your system on 9/15/03… but they were modified, (by your camera) on 4/14/03. i suspect it’s getting one value from the operating system (created) and the other (modified) from the metadata.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Jul 12, 2004
Thanks Dave,

They were indeed created on 4/14/03, and never modified. That is, I never changed anything to them. Never did anything and then saved them. It appears that the date created and the date modified are always the same when the image is new, even if there has been no modification.

Then on 9/15/03 I built a new machine and in the process, formatted the hard drive, did a complete install of a new OS and all applications. Then I copied the files from my backup CDs to the PC. To the PC, this was the creation date, and the files were last manipulated (spell that "created" in this case) on 4/14/03.

Now that you cleared this up, and not that I really would bother with it, is there a way to edit the file properties to correct this? (I’m not at home, so I can’t check in the program now).

Thanks!

Tom Ireland
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 13, 2004
is there a way to edit the file properties to correct this?

check someplace like www.cnet.com/downloads and look for a time stamper. you should be able to find something freeware. i haven’t done that kind of thing in a while, but yes, it’s possible.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Jul 13, 2004
Thanks for the help, Dave.

I have taken over 7,800 digital pictures since I got my first digi-cam four years ago. I’ve always kept them in folders named for the date they were taken. I’ve seen people rename the images with something more intuitive than P305839.TIF, and know many people use Adobe Album or PS to enter keywords for easier retrieval later. Maybe I should consider keywords and/or re-naming in addition to keeping them in dated-named folders?

Thanks again, Tom Ireland

Tom Ireland
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 13, 2004
Maybe I should consider keywords

keep in mind that ps album’s keywords are NOT compatable with cs’s. if you go that route, i’d use photoshop’s.

I’m not a pro, but what i do with my images is name them AND date them…

so the folder is like \2004_07_04_FourthParty_Daves_Yard

and the images will be:
2004_07_04_FourthParty_Daves_Yard001.tif
2004_07_04_FourthParty_Daves_Yard002.tif
2004_07_04_FourthParty_Daves_Yard003.tif

etc.

and i immediately write protect the originals so I don’t accidentally save over them. then when I edit one, i have to rename it to something more meaningful or photoshop yells at me (gives me a file is locked error!) 🙂
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Jul 13, 2004
Wow Dave!

I’ve never thought of being greedy, but you make it seem so acceptable. I can name AND date my images. Duh! Why didn’t I think of that? Maybe cause all the chat up till now has covered just two camps… a name OR a date? Great solution!

I always backup the original images before an alterations, even the ones that are terrible (digital real estate is inexpensive), and If I use keywords, it will be in PS CS.

If you invite me to your next Fourth Party and ask if I want a hot dog or a burger…I’ll ask for both!

Thanks again… you are Da Man!

Tom Ireland
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 13, 2004
I’ve never thought of being greedy,

LOL! 🙂

glad to help turn on the light bult tom! XD

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections