JC
Posted By
John_Cane
Sep 10, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PhotoShop CS2 v. 9.0.1 running in Windows XP.

If I enter metadata while editing my master (tif) copy, the metadata do not carry over when "saving for web" as jpg. In the Description section, all metadata entered into the TIF version with PS are removed in "Save-for-Web". In the Advanced section, all EXIF data are gone, as are a number of other datasets, judging by the reduced length of the Advanced list.

It appears that, without a fix for this issue, Save For Web is not very useful, and that we are obliged to save the tif as jpg and carry out a manual process of optimization for the Web.

Can someone please advise a work-around that allows an automated Save-for-Web process without losing metadata?

One might argue that medatada are not needed in Web view, but (a) third party image display sites often show Exif data on uploaded images and (b) I want anyone who downloads an image to be able to read all of the associated metadata.

Entering metadata in the jpg is not a good solution. All copies of the image must contain the same metadata, and multiple, manual metadata entry procedures do not make for a reliable process.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MB
Michael_Brower
Sep 10, 2006
Using Save For Web the metadata is stripped out. To keep the metadata, use Save As, and then choose jpg as the file type to save as. The metadata will remain intact using this method.
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 10, 2006
Photoshop CS2 v. 9.0.1 running in Windows XP.

Nothing to do with your question (already answered eloquently by Michael): update to 9.0.2. Lots of issues fixed.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections