Confused about channels and Displace Map Files?

M
Posted By
midihead
Dec 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Two questions:

1. I read one tutorial (don’t remember where) that said that a good way of creating a displacement map is to go into the channels and hide all but the one with the most contrast…. But… If I read the help in photoshop it says that the first channel is controlling the horizontal stuff and the second one is controlling the vertical stuff… that really confusing me since that tutorial then only had one channel what happens to the vertical displace then. Can someone explain this to me and how it works and what the best way is to create a displacement map?

2. I open a simple photo -> Open the channel tab -> Hide all but one channel -> save as "Displace Map.psd" (keeping maximum compatability) -> Close. Then I open "Displace Map.psd" and the channels are all visible again. Is the channel settings not saved with the PSD file?

Thank you for you time

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
ronviers
Dec 14, 2006
midihead wrote:
Two questions:

1. I read one tutorial (don’t remember where) that said that a good way of creating a displacement map is to go into the channels and hide all but the one with the most contrast….

Hi,
It sounds like the tutorial is asking you to create a new document using the channel with the most contrast. Then later use that document as a source of the ‘Displace’ filter.
To do this:
First duplicate the background.
Then go to channels and make visible the most contrasty one. Then click on the ‘Load channel as selection’ button.
‘Edit’
‘Copy’
‘File’
‘New’
‘Paste’
‘Save’
I have no doubt that there is a better way but this will keep you going.

Good luck,
Ron

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections