RP
Posted By
Russell_Proulx
Oct 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I do a fair bit of fine art reproduction and automate re-naming and website creation chores using metadata fields (title, description, copyright).

Maybe I’ve missed something but there seems an inconsistency with automated Photoshop tasks and choice of metadata that can be used. In Bridge the list of metadata options are different (eg: no choice of Title or Description metatag to choose when Batch Renaming) from those offered by the Web Photo Gallery (Filename, Description, Title, Copyright, Credits) and no Web Photo Gallery options are present in Bridge’s Batch Rename. I don’t have time to check but I think this inconsistency continues in Lightroom as well.

My request is that Adobe try as much as possible to offer the *same* metadata choices where a choice exist, or at least repeat the most obvious. Why does Batch Rename not include the "Title" metatag as an option? How many folks really want to rename a file with the Aperture Value and other camera data?

I’m posting this here because I wonder if others have noted this and are inconvenienced by it?

Russell

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 22, 2006
I’m posting this here because I wonder if others have noted this and are inconvenienced by it?

Yes. I noticed it as well. My uses were very limited, but when I tried to implement data for a "title", it would not appear as title across the board, indeed in some viewings (bridge or ps) data was absent altogether. In my case I settled on "Description" and for my purposes it worked out, but I’m very skeptical of using these metadata fields, basically, because I don’t understand the inconsistency.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Oct 22, 2006
I’m very skeptical of using these metadata fields, basically, because I don’t understand the inconsistency.

What’s great about the metatags is that I can add a name (author) and title and dimensions/media tag to each work and it always stays with it and its permutations until I ‘save for web’.

ie: I created custom Photoshop web templates for various artist that integrate their portfolios into their website designs. With the metadata I can automate the process and easily add more works. But when I think of time saving techniques using other Photoshop features that interact with metatags I’m frustrated that the effort to add the metadata fields is wasted as they don’t allow access to the same fields.

It’s as if the various design teams at Adobe are not talking with each other enough…

Russell
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 22, 2006
I’m frustrated that the effort to add the metadata fields is wasted as they don’t allow access to the same fields.

Totally understood. I found a way to have access to the fields I need, totally by trial and error, but I’ll tell you, "Document Title" wasn’t one of them.

It’s as if the various design teams at Adobe are not talking with each other enough

Right. When you look at File Info in Photoshop and look at the Advanced category, you see that many of these XMP formats use different fields or description of the fields. So I’m not sure how much of this is trying to meld standards v. not talking amongs the development teams.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections