Color management – "relative calorimetric" intent being ignored?

J
Posted By
James
Aug 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

My first post to the group!

I’m relatively new to Photoshop. I’ve spent some time balancing the colour management workflow, aiming to print on a Fuji Frontier.

I’m seeing some odd behaviour when I Convert to Profile. It’s as if the "relative calorimetric" intent is being ignored. So I wondered if
I’ve missed a step.

Here’s what I’m doing and the problem I see:

– Open jpg image (which has no embedded profile) and assign to working space (Adobe RGB)
– Manipulate image, until happy.
– Soft proof image (using a Fuji Frontier profile, with "preserve color numbers" off and an intent of "relative calorimetric") – Convert image to Fuji profile (via Edit | Mode | Convert to Profile, using same profile and intent as soft proof)
– Save image, with embedded profile.

The strange thing I see is immediately after I run Convert to Profile. I was expecting the resulting image to look exactly the same as the soft proof. However, there are some significant variations.

I investigated a little more, and noticed that the result of Convert to Profile exactly reflected the soft proof I saw if I selected "preserve color numbers" ON.

Furthermore, if I generate a print, the printed copy is an excellent match for the on-screen Soft Proof with "preserve color numbers" ON.

It’s as if the RGB values in the image are being mapped directly from Adobe RGB space to the profile’s RGB space, without the "relative calorimetric" intent being applied during the mapping.

I’ve spent quite some time trawling around for what I’m doing wrong, but am running out of ideas. Has anybody seen this before, or can offer some new ideas?

The environment I’m using is:

– Monitor colour-balanced with Gretag Macbeth’s Eye One
– Adobe Photoshop 6
– Adobe settings of:
– Working space of Adobe RGB 1998
– Colour management policies of "preserve embedded profiles" – ICC profile for Fuji Frontier installed (from DryCreek)

Thanks,

James.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections