How do I make adjustments to part of an image?

DE
Posted By
Dan E
Jul 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Photoshop CS, I need to make adjustments to the contrast etc. in most of a scanned image of a brochure, but there’s a rectangular area (a photo) that I need to protect so that any changes I make don’t apply to that area. Any help or suggestions very gratefully received…

Dan E
webbie(removethis)@preferredcountry.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
DBLEXPOSURE
Jul 31, 2005
"Dan E" <webbie(removethis)@preferredcountry.com> wrote in message
In Photoshop CS, I need to make adjustments to the contrast etc. in most of a scanned image of a brochure, but there’s a rectangular area (a photo) that I need to protect so that any changes I make don’t apply to that area. Any help or suggestions very gratefully received…

Dan E
Dan:

Several ways to go about this, I would just select the entire image by doing "Select" "Select all" now do a "Edit/copy" Now make your adjustment,
(the adjustment at this point will effect the entire frame, Don’t worry, pay attention to the part of the frame you are trying to correct and make the adjustment) Now that you have it where you want it do a "Edit/Paste". This will put your original over the top of your adjusted images as a new layer. Now, select the eraser tool, set the opacity to about 50% Make you brush a size you like, make the brush as soft as I can be. Now, brush away your original in the area where you want to correct the image and your correct image will be revealed. You might want to try it a few times to get the feel for it. You can also use your marquee tool to outline the area your are working on to help control what area of the image your eraser will effect. If you do, feather your marquee to keep from making distinct edges…

I hope this helps…

Pat Ziegler
D
DBLEXPOSURE
Jul 31, 2005

Dan E

Dan:

Several ways to go about this, I would just select the entire image by doing "Select" "Select all" now do a "Edit/copy" Now make your adjustment,
(the adjustment at this point will effect the entire frame, Don’t worry, pay attention to the part of the frame you are trying to correct and make the adjustment) Now that you have it where you want it do a "Edit/Paste". This will put your original over the top of your adjusted images as a new layer. Now, select the eraser tool, set the opacity to about 50% Make you brush a size you like, make the brush as soft as I can be. Now, brush away your original in the area where you want to correct the image and your correct image will be revealed. You might want to try it a few times to get the feel for it. You can also use your marquee tool to outline the area your are working on to help control what area of the image your eraser will effect. If you do, feather your marquee to keep from making distinct edges…

I hope this helps…

Pat Ziegler
T
Tacit
Jul 31, 2005
In article <nE8He.20214$>,
"Dan E" <webbie(removethis)@preferredcountry.com> wrote:

Step 1: Select the area you wish to protect.

Step 2: Invert the selection. This makes the rest of the image selected and the area you wish to protect unselected.

Step 3: Make your adjustments with Image->Adjust->Curves (or whatever; in general, avoid the Color Balance and Brightness/Contrast commands, as they degrade the image).

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
DE
Dan E
Jul 31, 2005
Many thanks to you both, dbl and tacit.

Dan E

Dan E

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections