How to make only part of a grayscale image 2 color?

MC
Posted By
Mark_Christensen
Feb 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’ve got PS 6.0. I have a grayscale photo and I want part of it to be PMS 300 blue. I can’t figure out how to do this. The part I want blue has some lettering engraved into the object and has shading that I want to preserve. In the color version, this object is red, but now I want it to be blue, with the rest of the image being grayscale. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Mark

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 9, 2004

1. Select the area you want coloured — this is probably easier with the original colour image.
2. Convert to grayscale.
3. In the Channels palette, select "New Spot Channel…". Click on the swatch next to "Color" and select Pantone 300.
4. in the Gray channel, cut (the selection should still be active).
5. Switch to the Pantone 300 channel and pase the image there.
6. Play with levels until you’re happy with the colour of the layer.
7. Save as Photoshop DCS file.
MC
Mark_Christensen
Feb 9, 2004
Thanks! I’ll try that.

Mark
MC
Mark_Christensen
Feb 9, 2004

1. Select the area you want coloured — this is probably easier with the original colour image

How exactly do I do this? Draw a path around it? When I did this in the color version, it didn’t work.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 9, 2004
Make a selection. Use lasoo, magic wand, pen, brushes+quick mask, whatever floats your boat.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections