Color grey is mauve in palettes (but ok in menus)

PB
Posted By
Philippe_Brunet
May 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We have PS 6 installed on two Dell Workstations with the exact same specs (same OS, same monitor, same processor, same everything), but a problem occurs only on one of them.

PROBLEM:
Gray appears mauve (ultra warm gray) in any palettes CYMK,RGB,Hue,Saturation) / documents(PDF,TIF,EPS,PSD) whether we work in RGB or CMYK, but ONLY ON ONE WORKSTATIONS.

NOTE:
* the documents still prints fine, no matter which workstations we use * the windows menus (with File, Edit, etc…) are ok, i.e. standard gray * the Color Setting policies are set exactly the same on both workstations, i.e. RGB is sRGB IEC61966-2.1, CMYK is PS 5 Default CMYK, Gray is Gray Gamma 2.2, Spot is Dot Gain 20%. Color Management Policies is OFF all the way.

My analysis is that the monitor is fine because the computer can display good grays in any other software (I even painted a full gray page in Paint and it is a normal gray). The gray cannot be displayed properly inside a Adobe Photoshop document are even in Illustrator 10.

Please help me figure this out. It does not make sense. I am aware that a colour will always be different on each device, even the same model. But this is not the case here because the monitor CAN display gray properly, only not in PS.

tks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RW
Rene_Walling
May 17, 2004
Sounds like your monitor profile is hosed on one machine.
L
LenHewitt
May 17, 2004
Yep,

Run Adobe Gamma and create a new monitor profile
PB
Philippe_Brunet
May 19, 2004
Thank you for these express answers.

I runned Adobe Gamma and reconfigured the Monitor Seting. The grays are fine now. I wish I knew this was that simple.

Thanks again.
L
LenHewitt
May 19, 2004
Good to hear you have it fixed, Philippe

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections