CS
Posted By
Cleve_Smith
Sep 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running photoshop cs3 on XP. Does anyone Know how to change the color or I should say the grayscale of facial features on a photo without changing the texture or anything else. These photo are all grayscale.
For instance if I take a photo and invert it all the grayscale is changed. The hair might be lighter, the nose darker, the eyes somewhere inbetween. Of coarse a perfect negative is made. But lets say I want to lighten the nose a bit without changing its texture or anything else about the nose. And I want it all to blend together just as it was done when the photo was initially inverted.
I’m pretty new at this and could sure use some help. Thanks Cleve

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Sep 10, 2008
brightness/contrast
hilight/shadow
hue/saturation/contrast
color balance

use any/all of the above with layer masks.
C
Curvemeister
Sep 10, 2008
Curves are a good way to change local contrast.

Masking is a powerful tool for isolating sections of an image – start with curves first before using masking as it is easy to overdo it with masking.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 11, 2008
also levels. curves may be a bit advanced for a beginner (imo) and it’s easy to mess them up. otoh, there’s never a better time to learn than at the beginning. might be worth the OPs time to google a good curves tutorial or three.
JM
John_Mensinger
Sep 11, 2008
Cleve, if you’re new to this, the power of layer masks won’t be readily apparent, so here are some basics to get you started:

A layer mask is just what it sounds like…add one to a layer, and it is like a gray scale mask on which white fully hides the layer, and black fully exposes it. Shades in between give varying degrees of concealment/exposure.

So, you have your image, and you’d like to apply adjustments or effects to just certain areas in a way that looks natural.

Make a copy of the layer you want to adjust right on top of the original. Now apply your adjustment/effect to the copy. You can even make it somewhat extreme.

Add a layer mask. Fill it with white, hiding the entire "adjusted" layer.

Now, set the foreground color to black and paint with the brush tool on the mask. You’ll see that your painting exposes the adjusted layer, so in essence, you’re "painting in" the adjustment. Use a soft-edge brush set at low opacity…less than 15%, and size it appropriately. This allows you to paint in your adjustment only where you want it, a little at a time, with a nice, blended transition.

After you understand how it works, you can save a few steps in many cases by just using an adjustment layer, which works the same way. Take a few minutes and read the help files on these subjects, and Google up some tutorials. Like this one:
<http://photoshoptips.net/2005/09/16/adjustment-layers/> You’ll be glad you did.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections