MV
Posted By
Matti_Vaheri
Apr 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open a batch of files and then try to save them with the Automate function they are saved backwards in a wrong order. This is problematic if you want to have the files named chronologically. With my previous version of PS6 this was not a problem. Win XP.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 19, 2004
Hum, can you expand on what the wrong order is? for that matter, what is the right order?

Do you open the files first and then run the batch action or do you use the source: folder option in the batch dialog box?

Are you changing the names of the files with the batch action?
DR
Danny_Raphael
Apr 19, 2004
Like Rene, it’s not clear to me what saved backwards means.

In any event batch processes files alphabetically according to file name regardless of other characteristics such as creation or modification date. In other words order of processing is a function of file name.

If your original files are named sequentially (using, say, embedded digits), you should be okay regardless of how the files are displayed by XP. I’ll bet if you click the "created" column, they will sort and be listed in the order you expect.
MV
Matti_Vaheri
Apr 20, 2004
I’m first opening a batch of sequential files (named by the camera)in Photoshop. After fine-tuning them I use Automate batch command to save them as jpeg files in a specified folder with a running 2-digit extension attached. That’s when the problem occurs and the last pictures gets the _01 tag and the first one opened gets the biggest number.
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 20, 2004
Define last picture, define first one.

You still haven’t answered my questions

Details man, if you want help, we need to know more.
MA
Mark_Allen
Apr 20, 2004
Matt, you’re correct in suggesting this. I noticed CS do this whereas PS7 worked it out itself and was much quicker. I’ve been using PS7 for the picture gallery ‘cos it’s quicker to boot up v7 and do the task than wait for v8 to finish processing a command.

I suggest a treble numbering system i.e. 001.jpg and also number your folders with the prefix of .01 Home, .02 Church etc (example only)

Sad really !!!

Regards

Mark
LL
Larry_Ligon
Apr 20, 2004
I’m guessing that you have all the photos open and then you run the batch. It is probably processing the "active document". That
means that the frontmost document is processed first and then closed. Then the next document becomes the "active document" and it
is processed and closed. That is why the last document you work on is processed first. After fixing the photos, start selecting
the photos in reverse order. When you’re through the first document fixed will be in front. The last document fixed will be the
back document. Then run the batch.
MA
Mark_Allen
Apr 20, 2004
Larry, Matti’s right!! When I run picture gallery in v7, I had 4 folders for weddings. "Home, Church, Gardens, Hotel". Now the Home folder in not alphabetically in order, it’s 3rd on the list yet because v7 worked from the 1st number, as suggested 001.jpg irrespective of where the folder was. ie 3rd on the list.

NOW, PSCS works from the 1st folder irrespective of whether the 1st photo (001.jpg) is in it or not.

It’s wee small changes in CS that really get on my goat and slow workflow down to a crawl. However the new features do make up for it.

Regards

Mark
LL
Larry_Ligon
Apr 20, 2004
Mark,

As a Software Engineer, I understand how most software works. As a non-programmer, you may not be aware of how software
processes things. Photoshop is very powerful and has a steep learning curve. This is especially true when you try to use some of
the automation. That’s why these forums are so helpful. If you have any more problems here is where you can get help.

Larry
MV
Matti_Vaheri
Apr 21, 2004
Larry and Mark,

You got it right. I load a batch photos into PSCS and the last one in and the top of the stack stays active. When I do any batch processing it starts from the active one (=last in and the latest photo). In PS6 this was no problem. After all photos where opened the first one pops on top and stays active. And when doing any processing it follows the same order they have been opened in PS.

Matti
DR
Danny_Raphael
Apr 21, 2004
Matti:

To clarify the images you were trying to batch process were open in the PS CS window when you initiated the batch process, not all closed in a folder.

Is that correct?
MV
Matti_Vaheri
Apr 21, 2004
Danny,
That’s correct.
Matti
DR
Danny_Raphael
Apr 21, 2004
Ah (ding… the light goes on)!

So was the solution to select the first image loaded (either by clicking on it to make it active, or choosing it from the open documents list) and then initiating the batch process?
MV
Matti_Vaheri
Apr 22, 2004
Danny,
No it does not help. I’ve tried that. It doesn’t help which photo is active when you start the batch process. PS follows the strange rule: last in – first out. So the new file names will become backwards.
Matti
DR
Danny_Raphael
Apr 22, 2004
Hmmm… Must be a PS CS thing, as you observed, Matti.

I just confirmed that under PS 7, actions invoked through Batch (with Source=Opened Files selected) process open images in First In/First Out order according to how they are listed in the Window > Documents menu. This is true regardless of which image is active when the Batch command is invoked.

A subtle difference, but definitely a difference. Wonder why this change was made? I don’t reading mention of it any of the CS info I’ve read.
MV
Matti_Vaheri
Apr 23, 2004
Yes. It is an annoying problem. I’ve contacted the local Adobe customer support people and informed them about this. Hope they will fix it soon.
MA
Mark_Allen
Apr 27, 2004
On another note, I tried the renaming feature today and unless I don’t know or did it wrong, PSCS kept the same name for the files I had AND added the new name I gave it, so I got the old name and new name all as a filename.

More strange behaviour?

Regards

Mark
MV
Matti_Vaheri
Apr 28, 2004
Mark,
The renaming feature itself has worked ok with me. Only the running numbers are backwards. regards
matti
JC
JG_Cooke
Apr 28, 2004
Matti:

This is what I do, and it negates the PS LIFO quirk.

When I load a new series of shots (sporting event) I open the folder in browser, select all (ctrl-a), automate – batch rename (browser toolbar) and give them a name i.e "date-game " + 3-digit serial number + extension. This gives a unique identifier to each photo which sorts easily.

When I run a batch starting with "Game 001" thru "Game 357" and the sort comes out "Game 357" thru "Game 001" you just click the header in you file list to reset the order correctly.

Putting an ID on each image right out of the camera save a lot of aggravation. PS does some things that just aren’t worth fighting.

Jim
MV
Matti_Vaheri
Apr 28, 2004
Jim,
Yes, you can go around problem that way, if you have in that folder photos only from one occasion. What, if you have a collection of many shootings in that folder.Some are in right order – some not.
regards
Matti
MA
Mark_Allen
Apr 28, 2004
Matti, best to put each event in seperate folders, but even then as discussed, upside down or back to front.

Jim wrote:

Putting an ID on each image right out of the camera save a lot of aggravation. PS does some things that just aren’t worth fighting.

Jim, why not? at £668 I expect it to work properly. Sorry!!!

Oh!! Please!!!!.01 release

Regards

Mark
JC
JG_Cooke
Apr 28, 2004
Matti:

Mark was right (on both counts). Having separate folders or sub-folders for each event makes sense. One way to do this easily is to set up the folders/subs that reflect your requirements. Go to PS browser and open up your motherlode folder with all the images. Select like-event images that you want to keep together (hold the ctrl key and click on the images). Once you have selected the first group, alt-drag it to the desired folder, in the folder window in browser (hold the alt key and select one on the highlighted images and drag it to the folder). This way you will get your images into their own cubbyholes, then you can batch rename. . . you’ll love yourself later.

If you do a lot of this, you might want to consider a catalog package. There you can assign each image into a number of different categories (ie Family – In Laws – Things to avoid) at the same time. Here you can keep all your files in the shoe box and let the program retrieve them as you need them. I use IMatch (photools.com)

Jim
MV
Matti_Vaheri
Apr 29, 2004
Jim,
Thanks. That’s one way to overcome the problem, but you end up with having dozens of separate folders. I usually name my photos as "date(yymmdd)_event_2-digits.ext" and have them in folders named after the month. I have also Photoshop Album 2.0 where I can tag them according to the event/person/place etc.
Matti

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections