N
Posted By
NIK
Nov 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a very simple question to which I should know the answer but I do not.

The question is I want to print a white box onto coloured paper.

When I try to do it nothing is printed if I do a pure white box with no surround.

Is it possible and how do I do it.

NIK

Remove nospam for personal reply if responding via newsgroup.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
Charley
Nov 29, 2004
There’s no "white ink" in an inkjet printer.

"NIK" wrote in message

When I try to do it nothing is printed if I do a pure white box with no surround.

NIK

B
BobS
Nov 29, 2004
Try choosing an off-white color (light gray) since white is the absence of color, it prints nothing and you see the color of the paper.

"NIK" wrote in message

NIK

HP
helmut.p.einfaltNOSPAM
Nov 29, 2004
BobS wrote:

Try choosing an off-white color (light gray) since white is the absence of color, it prints nothing and you see the color of the paper.

Unfortunately, even an off-white (slightly tinted) box will *always* let the underlying paper color shine through, regardless of the colour used.

It is impossible to print in negative on coloured stock (with office printing equipment, that is) — the only way is to create *both* colours and print both, making sure that the "no colour white" is set to knock out the underlying "paper" colour.

Helmut

All typos © My Knotty Fingers Ltd. Capacity Dept.
N
nomail
Nov 29, 2004
BobS wrote:

That won’t work either, because the prinyer does not have a very light grey ink. What will happen is that the printer will simulate grey by printing a pattern of black dots, with fairly large spaces in between. These spaces should be white (on normal white paper), but now they will be the color of the colored paper. The only answer is:

Sorry, that can’t be done.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
E
edjh
Nov 29, 2004
NIK wrote:

NIK
The only way is to print on white paper and make the area around the box in a color. Kind of a waste of ink though,

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
K
Kingdom
Nov 29, 2004
"NIK" wrote in news:cofa8e
$h4v$:

NIK

You can’t with a simple printer. You must print on white paper, so include the colour of your original colour paper in your art work then print it on white paper.

Youth is wasted on the young!
Nov 29, 2004
The only alternative if you really nd a white box on coloured paper is to draw it in using a pen with gel type ink or some type of paint. Do it either prior to printing the rest of the page or after if there’s a risk of the ink/paint coming off the page and mucking up the printer. Hopefully this is a one-off print… 😉

AMD’r

"NIK" wrote in message

NIK

B
BobS
Nov 30, 2004
Of course you’re right…musta been a senior moment…..;-)

"Helmut P. Einfalt" wrote in message
BobS wrote:

Unfortunately, even an off-white (slightly tinted) box will *always* let the underlying paper color shine through, regardless of the colour used.

It is impossible to print in negative on coloured stock (with office printing equipment, that is) — the only way is to create *both* colours and print both, making sure that the "no colour white" is set to knock out the underlying "paper" colour.

Helmut

All typos
F
Fixx
Nov 30, 2004
In article <rkNqd.4608$>,
edjh wrote:

The question is I want to print a white box onto coloured paper. Is it possible and how do I do it.

The only way is to print on white paper and make the area around the box in a color. Kind of a waste of ink though,

If you can afford a run of 1000 pieces or so you can get it printed the old way and choose Pantone white as one color. Still, actual color reproduction is difficult as colored paper shows through printed colors. May look very classy though if you get it right.

But I think you want oneoff from desktop printer and then there is no other way than print to white paper and fake the paper color with ink. -F
N
noone
Dec 1, 2004
In article <cofa8e$h4v$>, nikniknospam1971
says…

NIK

As others have correctly stated, there is no white ink in an inkjet printer. However, a workaround for this would be to do a full-bleed image of the color of the stock as the background, with the white area as white, then print it all on white stock. I have done this, plus even adding "handmade" paper texture in Painter to create the look of colored stock with that texture. Not what you were planning on doing, but it can get you to the same, or very similar, end result.

Hunt
N
noone
Dec 1, 2004
In article ,
invalid says…
In article <rkNqd.4608$>,
edjh wrote:

The question is I want to print a white box onto coloured paper. Is it possible and how do I do it.

If you can afford a run of 1000 pieces or so you can get it printed the old way and choose Pantone white as one color. Still, actual color reproduction is difficult as colored paper shows through printed colors. May look very classy though if you get it right.

But I think you want oneoff from desktop printer and then there is no other way than print to white paper and fake the paper color with ink. -F

Oops, I did not see your post Fixx, before I said to do about the same thing. You beat me to the punch.

Hunt

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections