Can Mac Photoshop 6 read PC Photoshop files?

L
Posted By
Lee
Sep 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear all,

I have done an artwork on my PC using Photoshop 7. However, when i pass the disc to my friend who is using a Mac with Photoshop 6, he said he couldnt open my file.

I have save 2 different versions for my artwork. One is .PSD (layer file) and the other one in .TIFF but he couldnt open both! Does it mean that lower version Photoshop 6 cannot read higher version? Or is it PC and Mac problem?

Was wondering what could be the cause… Need advise urgently! Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
nomail
Sep 16, 2005
Lee wrote:

Dear all,

I have done an artwork on my PC using Photoshop 7. However, when i pass the disc to my friend who is using a Mac with Photoshop 6, he said he couldnt open my file.

I have save 2 different versions for my artwork. One is .PSD (layer file) and the other one in .TIFF but he couldnt open both! Does it mean that lower version Photoshop 6 cannot read higher version? Or is it PC and Mac problem?

You need to give more info. What happens when he tries? Does he see an error message? If so, what does it say? Photoshop 7 does have some options that weren’t supported in Photoshop 6 yet, so that might be a reason. Mac vs PC is normally not the reason: Macs can read almost any PC file without any problem and there is no such thing as a ‘PC PSD’ format anyway.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
BV
Bart van der Wolf
Sep 16, 2005
"Lee" wrote in message
Dear all,

SNIP

The files should be readable (assuming you didn’t select some exotic compression) cross-platform, but perhaps you didn’t write an ISO formatted CD?

Bart
R
Roy
Sep 16, 2005
"Lee" wrote in message
Dear all,

Hi there.

It is much more likely that the problem lies in the way you have burned the CD. It is very easy to produce Cds which are not compatible between the 2 systems. I know, I have done it several times.

Roy G
Z
zarrookez
Sep 16, 2005
I third the motion. It isn’t the Photoshop file. It’s the CD. Hopefully Macs will soon be obsolete and we won’t have these problems any longer. Beware of font problems too, if they are used.
N
nomail
Sep 16, 2005
Roy wrote:

It is much more likely that the problem lies in the way you have burned the CD. It is very easy to produce Cds which are not compatible between the 2 systems. I know, I have done it several times.

Possible, but not as likely as it may seem to you. Macs ‘mount’ any disk as soon as you insert them, so if the problem is with the disk itself, you get a warning that the disk cannot be read long before you ever try to open a file on it.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
T
Tacit
Sep 16, 2005
In article <pNzWe.4086$>,
"_+arrooke" wrote:

Hopefully Macs
will soon be obsolete and we won’t have these problems any longer.

BWAH! Not going to happen.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
LI
Lorem Ipsum
Sep 16, 2005
"_+arrooke" wrote in message
I third the motion. It isn’t the Photoshop file. It’s the CD. Hopefully Macs

It is more likely that you went obsolete some time ago.
E
edjh
Sep 16, 2005
_+arrooke wrote:
I third the motion. It isn’t the Photoshop file. It’s the CD. Hopefully Macs will soon be obsolete and we won’t have these problems any longer. Beware of font problems too, if they are used.
Why do you say that? Macs can read many more disc formats than Windows.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
Z
zarrookez
Sep 16, 2005
I third the motion. It isn’t the Photoshop file. It’s the CD. Hopefully
Macs
Beware of
font problems too, if they are used.

Heh,heh,heh! I just love it when I have a chance to bait the Mac crowd. Always guarantee of a swift response 🙂

Keith
K
KatWoman
Sep 16, 2005
"edjh" wrote in message
_+arrooke wrote:
will soon be obsolete and we won’t have these problems any longer. Beware of

Comics art for sale:

maybe someday comp manufacturers will agree on some standard open formats, so it will be possible for everyone to share their files. And Mac users will not flame the PC people and vice versa. And someday pigs will fly too.
E
edjh
Sep 16, 2005
KatWoman wrote:
"edjh" wrote in message

_+arrooke wrote:

will soon be obsolete and we won’t have these problems any longer. Beware of

Comics art for sale:

maybe someday comp manufacturers will agree on some standard open formats, so it will be possible for everyone to share their files. And Mac users will not flame the PC people and vice versa. And someday pigs will fly too.
I don’t know. Seems to me the file formats are pretty standards and cross platform at least for graphics.

Comics art for sale:
E
edjh
Sep 16, 2005
_+arrooke wrote:

Macs

Beware of

Heh,heh,heh! I just love it when I have a chance to bait the Mac crowd. Always guarantee of a swift response 🙂

Keith
Actually I am a Windows and Mac user, and I believe Tacit is also. Don’t know about Lorem Ipsum.

You’re baiting the "folks who, unlike you, know what they are talking about" crowd. Congratulations.

Comics art for sale:
RW
Roger Whitehead
Sep 16, 2005
In article <4uCWe.3820$>, _+arrooke wrote:
I just love it when I have a chance to bait the Mac crowd.

And I just love putting bozos like this into the killfile.

Roger
Z
zarrookez
Sep 16, 2005
You’re baiting the "folks who, unlike you, know what they are talking about" crowd. Congratulations.

I know a little bit. I’ve worked in print for over 30 years. So quick to judge.
Keith.
Z
zarrookez
Sep 16, 2005
I just love it when I have a chance to bait the Mac crowd.

And I just love putting bozos like this into the killfile.

Roger

Don’t be so sensitive Roger. It’s only a machine that plugs into the wall. You don’t need to belong to a secret club -anyone can own one. I’ve had 3 – I just never got cult like about it. 90% of customer files come to me via PC, and it is also my platform of choice. I just enjoy teasing is all, cause I know how weird & humourless macoids are.
Settle down,
Keith.
T
toby
Sep 16, 2005
_+arrooke wrote:
Macs
Beware of

Heh,heh,heh! I just love it when I have a chance to bait the Mac crowd.

It will be fun for you until you tire of looking like an idiot.

Always guarantee of a swift response 🙂

Keith
N
noone
Sep 16, 2005
In article ,
says…
Dear all,

Others have pointed you to the possibility of a CD PC v MAC incompatability, though some doubt that that is the problem. One thing that you might want to do is read from the CD you have burned on your PC – open both files. This will not address any PC v MAC issue, but WILL insure that the CD is readable.

Next, check in Edit>Preferences>? for File Compatability. Can’t recall where exactly it is, or IF there is a compatability issue between 7 > 6. It seems that it was only < v2.5 that was a problem, though in newer versions one needs to Save with backward compatability to insure that earlier vers can read the file.

Last, when you Save the TIF (as stated, PSD should never be a problem), check MAC in Byte Order. Usually this makes no difference, but should the other machine be real sensitive, it might.

Otherwise, let us know what happens, i.e. error messages, etc. when the other machine attempts to open.

Hunt
E
edjh
Sep 16, 2005
_+arrooke wrote:

I know a little bit. I’ve worked in print for over 30 years. So quick to judge.
Keith.
30 years in print and you don’t know what Macs are capable of doing????

Comics art for sale:
R
Roy
Sep 16, 2005
"Hunt" wrote in message
In article ,
says…
Dear all,

Others have pointed you to the possibility of a CD PC v MAC incompatability,
though some doubt that that is the problem. One thing that you might want to
do is read from the CD you have burned on your PC – open both files. This will
not address any PC v MAC issue, but WILL insure that the CD is readable.
Next, check in Edit>Preferences>? for File Compatability. Can’t recall where
exactly it is, or IF there is a compatability issue between 7 > 6. It seems
that it was only < v2.5 that was a problem, though in newer versions one needs
to Save with backward compatability to insure that earlier vers can read the
file.

Last, when you Save the TIF (as stated, PSD should never be a problem), check
MAC in Byte Order. Usually this makes no difference, but should the other machine be real sensitive, it might.

Otherwise, let us know what happens, i.e. error messages, etc. when the other
machine attempts to open.

Hunt

Just to get back to the silly stuff, which I seem to have provoked entirely by accident.

Was I hearing correct when I was told that the new generation of Macs will be using Pentium Processors, and will be capable of running Windows, without having a Mac OS installed. And that the Mac OS might well be capable of running on a PC.

Will this be the end of the PC – MAC "love to hate" wind-ups?

Roy G
Z
zarrookez
Sep 16, 2005
Just to get back to the silly stuff, which I seem to have provoked
entirely
by accident.

Was I hearing correct when I was told that the new generation of Macs will be using Pentium Processors, and will be capable of running Windows,
without
having a Mac OS installed. And that the Mac OS might well be capable of running on a PC.

Will this be the end of the PC – MAC "love to hate" wind-ups?
Roy G

Hi Roy,

I saw a headline somewhere to that effect. Didn’t read the article though. I agree . . .the Mac > PC thing is absolutely dumb. Particularly when considering one accomplishes the exact same thing on either platform. Now I could understand someone getting their back up had they personally invented the platform, then of course they would have a personal interest. Most of those who have been around for awhile ignore the whole issue simply because it isn’t an issue. I like to throw a spanner into the works when the mood strikes. Always a laugh. I do stuff PC because most of my clients use PC and I prefer it because it also permits me more of a ‘personal use’ machine as well – why hop back & forth. I send PDF to printers so it matters not where the file originated. I have a Mac if I need it. Not often. Lots more compatability on the way too with the use of Open Type.

To get back to the original post. I can’t recall if there was a problem opening version 7 with version 6. But I have had many instances in the past where a CD burned on Mac was unreadable on PC.

Keith.
Z
zarrookez
Sep 16, 2005
maybe someday comp manufacturers will agree on some standard open formats, so it will be possible for everyone to share their files. And Mac users
will
not flame the PC people and vice versa. And someday pigs will fly too.
The only problem I think I’ve ever had is with fonts. And that is changing.

Keith.
T
Tacit
Sep 17, 2005
In article <hfHWe.9756$>,
"Roy" wrote:

Was I hearing correct when I was told that the new generation of Macs will be using Pentium Processors, and will be capable of running Windows, without having a Mac OS installed. And that the Mac OS might well be capable of running on a PC.

Future Macs will have Intel processors, yes.

It may or may not be possible to run Windows on such a Mac. Nobody knows at this point, because the architecture of those machines has not been released (or, likely, even entirely determined yet). Apple has said they will use Intel chipsets, though possibly with a non-standard BIOS of some sort.

Apple has stated, though, that Intel versions of OS X will *not* be able to run on generic PC boxes, and that some form of hardware-based DRM will be in place to prevent this from happening. The current Intel build of OS X has been made to run on generic PCs, but of course it does not contain this hardware-based DRM.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
T
Tacit
Sep 17, 2005
In article <wrDWe.38$>,
"KatWoman" wrote:

They already have. The agreed-upon open standard is ISO9660.

All Macs and all PCs can read an ISO9660 CD. I do this all the time with no problems.

The problem comes from the Windows CD burning software. Many software makers have tried to make using CDs more convenient, by offering drag-and-drop burning and creating the illusion that single files can be deleted from a CD. Of course, this isn’t really the case; a file burned to a CD-R cannot be altered. To make this work, the manufacturers have created proprietary, non-standard CD directory structures. CDs written with some of this software can not be read on a Mac, and many times can not even be read on a PC that does not have that manufacturer’s software installed.

When burning a CD on a PC using proprietary burning software, it is important to consult the documentation for the software and learn how to tell the software to make a standard CD. In many cases, this involves doing some extra step after the CD is written, which may (depending on the software) be referred to as "standardizing," "finalizing," or "closing" the CD. A CD which has not had this done may not be readable in another computer.

T
Tacit
Sep 17, 2005
In article <OIDWe.1912$>,
edjh wrote:

Actually I am a Windows and Mac user, and I believe Tacit is also. Don’t know about Lorem Ipsum.

I am a Mac, PC, Linux, Unix, and Solaris user. The machines in my house range from the usual collection of Mac and PC desktop and laptop systems (I’m typing this on an Apple iBook right now) to generic Linux boxen and even a Sun SPARCstation. My collection of antique computers includes several TRS-80s, an Apple II, an Apple Lisa, some CP/M machines of various flavors, and all manner of other miscellany, and I have in my lifetime owned two PDP-11s (an 11/24 running RSTS and an 11/03 running RT-11).

T
toby
Sep 17, 2005
tacit wrote:
In article <hfHWe.9756$>,
"Roy" wrote:

Future Macs will have Intel processors, yes.

It may or may not be possible to run Windows on such a Mac. Nobody knows at this point, because the architecture of those machines has not been released (or, likely, even entirely determined yet). Apple has said they will use Intel chipsets, though possibly with a non-standard BIOS of some sort.

Apple has stated, though, that Intel versions of OS X will *not* be able to run on generic PC boxes, and that some form of hardware-based DRM will be in place to prevent this from happening.

Apart from the fact that drivers will not exist for 90% of white box hardware out there.

The current Intel build
of OS X has been made to run on generic PCs,

Only a limited variety of configurations. In particular, certain Intel chipsets.

but of course it does not
contain this hardware-based DRM.

L
Lee
Sep 17, 2005
Dear all,

Thank you for all your replies.

Actually, I’m a mac user. But right nw my mac is having some problems so I got no choice but to use my PC to do my artwork. And the burning software in my PC do not have any ISO-9660 format or anything like tat.. It just have either "data" or "audio". So i have chosen "data" format to write my info on the disc.

My friend is using Mac Photoshop 6. He didnt mention what kind of error it shows. He just said that "could not open the file". And the funny thing is that I have save the file name as "Backdrop.PSD" but he said the file name shows weird name like "BAC_001.44" instead. I will go try out the CD on my mac tomolo and hope to find out what’s the reason. Thank you all for sharing. 🙂 Have a nice day!
N
noone
Sep 17, 2005
In article ,
says…
Dear all,

Thank you for all your replies.

Actually, I’m a mac user. But right nw my mac is having some problems so I got no choice but to use my PC to do my artwork. And the burning software in my PC do not have any ISO-9660 format or anything like tat.. It just have either "data" or "audio". So i have chosen "data" format to write my info on the disc.

My friend is using Mac Photoshop 6. He didnt mention what kind of error it shows. He just said that "could not open the file". And the funny thing is that I have save the file name as "Backdrop.PSD" but he said the file name shows weird name like "BAC_001.44" instead. I will go try out the CD on my mac tomolo and hope to find out what’s the reason. Thank you all for sharing. 🙂 Have a nice day!

I think that Tacit might well have hit on a possible problem with the CD. Again, depending on what "error" friend’s MAC shows, a PC CD burned without " finalizing" or whatever term the software uses, may well yield a CD that can ONLY be read on the machine that burned it, or one with the exact same hardware/software, and this could be all the way down to the exact same model of CD drive. Just checking the CD in the machine which created it, is not telling, as to wheter it can be read/accessed from any other machine.

Check out the options in your CD burning software – "closing, finializing, etc." might just be a tiny, obscure checkbox, someplace.

Hunt
T
toby
Sep 17, 2005
Lee wrote:
Dear all,

Thank you for all your replies. … the funny
thing is that I have save the file name as "Backdrop.PSD" but he said the file name shows weird name like "BAC_001.44" instead. …

With Apple’s ISO9660 support in older versions of MacOS, you won’t see long filenames, only mangled short names. If this is the problem, all these names will include a ‘~’ character. Your friend could try installing Thomas Tempelmann’s Joliet File System Extension which lets MacOS use the long filenames on ISO/Joliet discs:

http://www.tempel.org/joliet/
T
toby
Sep 17, 2005
Lee wrote:
Dear all,

Thank you for all your replies. … the funny
thing is that I have save the file name as "Backdrop.PSD" but he said the file name shows weird name like "BAC_001.44" instead. …

With Apple’s ISO9660 support in older versions of MacOS, you won’t see long filenames, only mangled short names. If this is the problem, all these names will include a ‘~’ character. Your friend could try installing Thomas Tempelmann’s Joliet File System Extension which lets MacOS use the long filenames on ISO/Joliet discs:

http://www.tempel.org/joliet/
T
Tacit
Sep 19, 2005
In article ,
"Lee" wrote:

What is the name of the computer program you are using to record your CD?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections