Posted By
pak.man
Jul 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I have been looking at adobe’s site for some time in trying to understand my problem.

I have to open a file sent to me by someone working on PS Mac, I have PS PC. When I open the file I always have an error stating that this is not a valid photoshop document.

Anyone knows of a good location for an answer to this problem?

Thanks
Dominique Paquin

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

TT
Tom Thackrey
Jul 27, 2003
On 26-Jul-2003, "pak.man" wrote:

I have been looking at adobe’s site for some time in trying to understand my
problem.

I have to open a file sent to me by someone working on PS Mac, I have PS PC.
When I open the file I always have an error stating that this is not a valid
photoshop document.

What kind of file is it? PhotoShop (PSD)? EPS? JPEG? TIFF? What version of PhotoShop created the file?
Was "maximum compatibility" checked in the file preferences? What version of PhotoShop is trying to open it?
How did you receive the file? E-mail, Floppy, CD, network? Was the file compressed? Stuffed or Zipped?

if the file type is .sea or .sit, the file is compressed and needs to be uncompressed before PhotoShop can open it.
if there is no file type (the 2 or 3 letters after the last .) you need to know fwhat type it is. Find out and add the type to the windows file name. if the type is .psd and the versions are both recent, you should be able to open the file.

Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com
P
pix
Jul 27, 2003
What is the file extension type (name)? From that you may be able to get a program off the net to open it for you, but it very much depends on compatability.

cheers…pix

"pak.man" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have been looking at adobe’s site for some time in trying to understand
my
problem.

I have to open a file sent to me by someone working on PS Mac, I have PS
PC.
When I open the file I always have an error stating that this is not a
valid
photoshop document.

Thanks
Dominique Paquin

J
jrzyguy
Jul 27, 2003
you have to make sure that the person on the MAC side manualy enters the file extention at the end (i.e., .tiff, .jpg, .png, .giff) you have to make sure to enter both the dot and the file type. Macs dont put the "fork" in the file name. it says that you are saving it as a tiff…but you actualy have to put .tiff at the end in order to open it on a pc.

regards

jj

"pix" <*.pacific.net.au> wrote in message
What is the file extension type (name)? From that you may be able to get a program off the net to open it for you, but it very much depends on compatability.

cheers…pix

Hi all,

I have been looking at adobe’s site for some time in trying to
understand
my
problem.

PC.
valid
photoshop document.

Thanks
Dominique Paquin

PM
pak.man
Jul 27, 2003
I thnik that she did add the extension because it was present in the Zipped PSD document

Dominique

you have to make sure that the person on the MAC side manualy enters the file extention at the end (i.e., .tiff, .jpg, .png, .giff) you have to
make
sure to enter both the dot and the file type. Macs dont put the "fork" in the file name. it says that you are saving it as a tiff…but you actualy have to put .tiff at the end in order to open it on a pc.
regards
RD
Robert Dennis
Jul 28, 2003
You may have to try a PC software called: MacDrive 5, or MacOpener. It takes care of all the missing extension messiness and so forth. Also let’s you open Mac formatted zip disks, etc., as well.

Rob

Hi all,

I have been looking at adobe’s site for some time in trying to understand
my
problem.

PC.
valid
photoshop document.

Thanks
Dominique Paquin

KB
kresimir.bikic
Jul 28, 2003
in article pjKUa.40043$, pak.man at
wrote on 27/07/2003 08:29:

Hi all,

I have been looking at adobe’s site for some time in trying to understand my problem.

I have to open a file sent to me by someone working on PS Mac, I have PS PC. When I open the file I always have an error stating that this is not a valid photoshop document.

Thanks
Dominique Paquin
You got to get piece of soft (for pc) called MacOpener…

Kreso
J
jrzyguy
Jan 22, 2005
ok….so they saved it as a .psd but did they actually save it as a psd?

IF you want to…email me a sample….i am fascinated 🙂

jj

"jrzyguy" wrote in message
you have to make sure that the person on the MAC side manualy enters the file extention at the end (i.e., .tiff, .jpg, .png, .giff) you have to
make
sure to enter both the dot and the file type. Macs dont put the "fork" in the file name. it says that you are saving it as a tiff…but you actualy have to put .tiff at the end in order to open it on a pc.
regards

jj

"pix" <*.pacific.net.au> wrote in message
What is the file extension type (name)? From that you may be able to get
a
program off the net to open it for you, but it very much depends on compatability.

cheers…pix

Hi all,

I have been looking at adobe’s site for some time in trying to
understand
my
problem.

I have to open a file sent to me by someone working on PS Mac, I have
PS
PC.
valid
photoshop document.

Thanks
Dominique Paquin

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections