Posted By
Steve
Apr 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Everyone,

I’d like some advice from all Photoshop gurus out there.

I have an outline of a character that I’d like to scan, trace and fill. This character will be for multiple purposes (sizes), so he needs to be scalable.

Because of this need for scalability, I thought that using the pen tools to draw a path and then filling the area with layer styles would be the best way to go. I like some of the 3D styles that could possibly give the character a 3D rather than just a flat 2D appearance.

If the path is stroked or filled, are the stroked and filled areas raster and so therefore not scalable?

Could someone please elaborate on how I can scale the character larger and smaller without any loss of quality?

What are some ways that I can save the file for easy use in word processor etc.?

Thank you,
Steve

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

N
newsgroup
Apr 17, 2004
Steve,
You can save your "trace" as a path which is of course a fully scalable vector. I’m not sure what you’re creating this for but if it’s something fairly involved that has to be done over and over at different sizes you can record an action for repeatability. Layer styles need to be flattened into the image to be used in a word processor, if that’s what you’re asking.

~Doc

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

I have an outline of a character that I’d like to scan, trace and fill.
This
character will be for multiple purposes (sizes), so he needs to be
scalable.
Because of this need for scalability, I thought that using the pen tools
to
draw a path and then filling the area with layer styles would be the best way to go. I like some of the 3D styles that could possibly give the character a 3D rather than just a flat 2D appearance.

If the path is stroked or filled, are the stroked and filled areas raster and so therefore not scalable?

Could someone please elaborate on how I can scale the character larger and smaller without any loss of quality?

What are some ways that I can save the file for easy use in word processor etc.?

Thank you,
Steve

G
Getho
Apr 26, 2004
Steve,
You are correct – the layer stayles are raster. But so long as your artwork is vector you can re-size (image>image size) your artwork for any purpose – you will need to rescale your layer styles when you do (which is easy enought – just right click on your effect and choose "scale effect"). The fills are vector. The strokes are are a layer effect and therefore raster.

after a LOT of farting around with word using emfs and wmfs, and eps. I ended up saving as a png with no alpha layer or just as a good old jpeg highest quality. Word sucks with vector support. Photoshop wont save in a vector format anyway.

GEth

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

I have an outline of a character that I’d like to scan, trace and fill.
This
character will be for multiple purposes (sizes), so he needs to be
scalable.
Because of this need for scalability, I thought that using the pen tools
to
draw a path and then filling the area with layer styles would be the best way to go. I like some of the 3D styles that could possibly give the character a 3D rather than just a flat 2D appearance.

Thank you,
Steve

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections