Photoshop – All raster? Or some Vector ?

-B
Posted By
– Bob –
Feb 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Newbie question:

Is photoshop vector capable, or is everything handled as raster once created ? Do I need a different Adobe product if I need to save in vector?

Thanks,

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
Jim
Feb 18, 2007
"- Bob -" wrote in message
Newbie question:

Is photoshop vector capable, or is everything handled as raster once created ? Do I need a different Adobe product if I need to save in vector?

Thanks,
It is a raster processing program. Hence, vectors must be rasterized during the process of loading the image into memory.
Jim
-B
– Bob –
Feb 19, 2007
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:50:40 -0600, "Jim" wrote:

It is a raster processing program. Hence, vectors must be rasterized during the process of loading the image into memory.
Jim

Pardon my newbie-ness, but if I understand correctly, if I draw something in PS it is always saved as a raster object then ?

What do Adobe aficionados use for Vector drawing and layout?
J
Jim
Feb 20, 2007
"- Bob -" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:50:40 -0600, "Jim" wrote:
It is a raster processing program. Hence, vectors must be rasterized during
the process of loading the image into memory.
Jim

Pardon my newbie-ness, but if I understand correctly, if I draw something in PS it is always saved as a raster object then ?
Yes
What do Adobe aficionados use for Vector drawing and layout?
Don’t know since I only work on photos. Illustrator perhaps. Jim
P
pkonink
Feb 21, 2007
On Feb 18, 11:41 am, – Bob – wrote:
Newbie question:

Thanks,

Illustrator is the Adobe "vector" editing program … however you can use and save vector graphics in Photoshop. They’ve been gradually increasing Photoshop’s vector editing capabilities for some years now.

If you are mainly interested in editing vector-based graphics get Illustrator, though. Of course you could get Creative Suite and have Photoshop and Illustrator as well as InDesign for print layout.
-B
– Bob –
Feb 23, 2007
On 20 Feb 2007 17:18:15 -0800, wrote:

Illustrator is the Adobe "vector" editing program … however you can use and save vector graphics in Photoshop. They’ve been gradually increasing Photoshop’s vector editing capabilities for some years now.

Perhaps I can get more specific then with my question. I’m doing web sites. They end up as a combination of vector and raster. Most of the basic pieces of the site are fairly standard items – vector rectangles, circles, rounded rectangles, and text – and often creatively filled and with or without borders. There are usually some photos added in which are obviously vector. It’s the nature of the beast that I need to be able to size and resize the vector objects as I create… manipulating the objects and text as I fine tune the appearance. Everything has to be sizeable (vector) as I work.

Would Photoshop meet this need ? Or should I be in Illustrator ?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections