DK
Posted By
Doug_Katz
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Elsewhere on the forum, it was reported that a layer mask (linked or unlinked) on a shape layer will NOT transform with the shape. For example, when rotating or resizing the vector shape with the Free Transform handles, the layer mask pixels will not correspondingly rotate or resize… they remain unaffected by the transformation.

But this isn’t true, is it? It’s ONLY true if the shape’s PATH IS SELECTED. If I deselect the path (by clicking on its VECTOR mask) but keep the shape layer active, then transform, the shape and mask will both respond to the adjustment, right?

(Just making sure I’m understanding what I’ve just discovered in an image I’m working on. Thanks.)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
JasonSmith
Feb 25, 2004
Which treads were you referring to?
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 26, 2004
Oh lord, I’ll never find them now! they may have gone all the way back to PS7! I just remember very distinctly one (maybe even two) posts claiming that under the conditions I descirbe above, the raster mask won’t transform. And it WON’T if the shape’s path is selected. My little discovery is, it WILL if the layer remains active but the path is deselected. That’s all. No biggie (except for me).
JS
John_Slate
Feb 26, 2004
I’m not sure how a layer mask could NOT transform, it’s a grayscale raster.

You couldn’t end up with pixels on an angle, or at a different rez than the file.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 26, 2004
I vaguely remember this. It makes sense. If the path is selected Transform becomes Transform Path, as if you did Command-T on an active path, right?

Similarly you cannot use Command-T on a raster selection if the Pen or other vector tool is selected. Trips me up all the time. Use the pen to outline something, turn it into a selection and Command-T to affect those pixels and…nothing!
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 26, 2004
Exactly right, Ed. I discovered this when I had a raster layer mask on a shape layer (the shape was the custom "paper clip" that ships with PSCS and the layer mask was hiding the portion of the clip that was supposed to fall behind a fabricated "polaroid snapshot"). Anyway, the clip was vertical, and I needed to rotate it to a horizontal position. Couldn’t for the life of me figure out why Free Transform was rotating the clip (path of the shape layer) but not the layer mask until I realized I had the path selected (i.e., active). Once I deselected it, both shape and mask responded to Free Transform.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections