AF
Posted By
angus_farquharson
Jun 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
ok – I am trying to create a unifying theory on this so that I can understand these tools once and for all. The way I understand it is the masking tools such as the paint brush, quick mask mode, painting with black and white to add or take away transparency etc ONLY work on LAYER MASKS which are PIXEL based. you can however convert them to paths to apply them to LAYER SHAPES. Layer shapes and vector masks are THE SAME THING. WHen you create a layer shape it creates a vector mask. you edit layer masks with the selection tools, you edit layer shapes with the layer shape tools, HOWEVER you can convert PATHS to SELECTIONS and SELECTIONS to PATHS. the selection tools used on layer masks must be applied with the FILL command i.e ALT BACKSPACE. the layer shape tools apply themselves immediately depending on the mode of the tool i.e ADD, SUBTRACT and so forth. Layer masks and it’s corresponding selection tools are primarily (not exclusively)used for editing EXISTING images i.e photos, graphics and so forth. Layer shapes and it’s corresponding PATH TOOLS are used for CREATING graphics etc. so if I wanted to put then number ten over an existing photo I would edit the photo using a LAYER MASK and the SELECTION TOOLS and create the number ten using a LAYER SHAPE and it’s corresponding PATH tools. I hope I have this more or less straight.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
LenHewitt
Jun 4, 2005
Angus,

I have edited your post so it is not just one single block of extemely difficult-to-read text. White space considerably improves readability on screen.

so if I wanted to put then number ten over an existing photo<<

What’s wrong with a Text Layer in that particular scenario?
AF
angus_farquharson
Jun 4, 2005
well, say I want to create a number ten with a style that is not available in the existing font list….
Y
YrbkMgr
Jun 4, 2005
I am trying to create a unifying theory

Good luck. It’s like a unifying theory of a swiss army knife <grin>.

The way I understand it is the masking tools such as the paint brush, quick mask mode, painting with black and white to add or take away transparency etc ONLY work on LAYER MASKS which are PIXEL based.

No. You were right up until everything after the word "transparency" above.

You can mask vector objects with any of the tools.

Layer shapes and vector masks are THE SAME THING.

Yes – within the context of what you’re after, at least. A mask is a mask, but a shape layer is a mask with something else – a fill. The mask is an element of the shape layer.

WHen you create a layer shape it creates a vector mask. you edit layer masks with the selection tools, you edit layer shapes with the layer shape tools, HOWEVER you can convert PATHS to SELECTIONS and SELECTIONS to PATHS.

Yes. Except that you can use some universal tools to edit both types of masks – such as Free Transform, or the move tool.

The selection tools used on layer masks must be applied with the FILL command i.e ALT BACKSPACE. the layer shape tools apply themselves immediately depending on the mode of the tool i.e ADD, SUBTRACT and so forth.

True except for the word "must" above. You can use adjustment layers which, like the shape layer, adds a fill (or adjustment) as it applies the mask, and it can be one of several types of fills, including patterns and graidents, and other types of adjustments.

Layer masks and it’s corresponding selection tools are primarily (not exclusively)used for editing EXISTING images i.e photos, graphics and so forth.

I’m afraid I don’t understand that one. It seems to suggest that you couldn’t or wouldn’t use a layer mask on a newly created image; if that’s the intimation, then it is incorrect.

Layer shapes and it’s corresponding PATH TOOLS are used for CREATING graphics etc.

Not quite. Certainly it can be thought of that way, but consider this…

You scan in an image containing a circular emblem, and your goal is to isolate that emblem, and you want it to be precise. ONE way to isolate it would be to use the pen tool set to Paths and trace the emblem. Then you might load that path as a selection so as to isolate the emblem. Further, you might use that path to create a clipping path that will be respected if you export the image to another program.

This is an example of using a "vector tool" and apply it to a raster object.

Again, you have most of the basic concepts, but the unifying theory idea will be difficult. The more you know about photoshop, the more you can do with the tools.

Peace,
Tony
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Jun 5, 2005
If physicists can’t come up with their Grand Universal Theory (Quantum vs Relativity), then how can we hope to come up with a Grand Universal Theory of Photoshop?
GD
glen_deman
Jun 5, 2005
M theory (mask theory) says that all masks are ultimately comprised of silly string.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 5, 2005
I understand that top physicists are working on a unifying silly string theory.
GD
glen_deman
Jun 5, 2005
Dave, have you read "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene? Very interesting book; I haven’t gotten very far, but my co-worker who lent me his book said that it explains possible conclusions that string theory leads to. There’s a parallel universe, two sided brain universe, and the idea that our whole world is just a hologram. It’s great for me because it explains the far out ideas in easy to understand language (I’m not terribly technical).
RE
Robert_Enns
Jun 6, 2005
I’m fairly sure our universe is just a bubble in a really, really big being’s bath.

The creature’s time scale would be different, of course, and it would be quite a big bath. Cosmic actually.

I just haven’t worked out all the details of my theory yet but I’ve got a pad and pencil strategically placed on my night table beside the bed. I’m confident that it will come to me some night so it’s best to be prepared.

Rob E.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 6, 2005
no i haven’t read it glen. thanks for the tip. sounds right up my alley.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections