Vector graphic format / raster graphic format

N
Posted By
netsurfer802
Mar 10, 2005
Views
378
Replies
3
Status
Closed
Hi I am frustratedly working with trying to change colors of a JPG file that is a picture / logo for a company. I am somewhat inexperienced with dealing with such files…and recently was told that it needs to be in an original vector graphics format. The logo has a wide blend of sections and colors and shades of these colors. Is it really true that it would need to be in an original vector graphic format to retain good quality? Another words you couldn’t convert the bitmap file format to a vector graphic format and still retain high quality?? Does it need to be in an original vector graphic format, worked with and after the changes made, would it be safe to save the file as a bitmap or raster graphic format and still have good quality?

Thanks so much for any response.

Powered by Creative Market

T
Tacit
Mar 10, 2005
In , netsurfer802@
yahoo.com wrote:
Hi I am frustratedly working with trying to change colors of a JPG file that is a picture / logo for a company. I am somewhat inexperienced with dealing with such files…and recently was told that it needs to be in an original vector graphics format.

If you are using it for anything but the Web, yes, that is true. A logo that is intended for print production should be vector, not raster; a vector logo can be printed at any size, from postage stamp to billboard, with no loss in quality.

The logo
has a wide blend of sections and colors and shades of these colors. Is it really true that it would need to be in an original vector graphic format to retain good quality?

Yes.

Another words you couldn’t
convert the bitmap file format to a vector graphic format and still retain high quality??

You can’t "convert" a bitmap to vector. You can trace it, or run it through a program like Streamline (which traces it), but you can’t magically change a bitmap to vector.

Does it need to be in an original vector
graphic format, worked with and after the changes made, would it be safe to save the file as a bitmap or raster graphic format and still have good quality?

The bitmap image is going to be all but useless for print production. If your goal is to use the logo for print, it should be created as vector and it should stay as vector, and never be reduced to pixels. —
Art, shareware, photography, polyamory, kink:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
J
jjs
Mar 10, 2005
"Tacit" wrote in message
In , netsurfer802@
yahoo.com wrote:

You can’t "convert" a bitmap to vector. You can trace it, or run it through a program like Streamline (which traces it), but you can’t magically change a bitmap to vector.

To add to Tacit’s excellent summary – Streamline is rarely effective in converting bitmap to vector. You are almost always better off recreating the drawing from scratch in a vector-based program such as Illustrator. IMHO, Streamline is good for some creative derivative renderings, but not conversions to recreate originals in vectors.
N
netsurfer802
Mar 11, 2005
Thanks very much for your responses…this helps.

Tacit wrote:
In ,
netsurfer802@
yahoo.com wrote:
Hi I am frustratedly working with trying to change colors of a JPG file that is a picture / logo for a company. I am somewhat inexperienced with dealing with such files…and recently was told that it needs to be in an original vector graphics format.

If you are using it for anything but the Web, yes, that is true. A
logo
that is intended for print production should be vector, not raster; a

vector logo can be printed at any size, from postage stamp to
billboard,
with no loss in quality.

The logo
has a wide blend of sections and colors and shades of these colors.

Is it really true that it would need to be in an original vector graphic format to retain good quality?

Yes.

Another words you couldn’t
convert the bitmap file format to a vector graphic format and still

retain high quality??

You can’t "convert" a bitmap to vector. You can trace it, or run it through a program like Streamline (which traces it), but you can’t magically change a bitmap to vector.

Does it need to be in an original vector
graphic format, worked with and after the changes made, would it be

safe to save the file as a bitmap or raster graphic format and
still
have good quality?

The bitmap image is going to be all but useless for print production.
If
your goal is to use the logo for print, it should be created as
vector
and it should stay as vector, and never be reduced to pixels. —
Art, shareware, photography, polyamory, kink:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections