Posted By
Lim_Meng_Yew
Jul 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi !

I am aware of the conventional methods to create vector images from raster images, i.e. drawing the lines individually, then adding gradients. I am wondering if there is a command in Photoshop that will allow me to create vector images quicker. An example scenario would be :

– i have an image of a female
– i need to create a quick vector illustration from this image – once the vector is created, i will export it to be used in Flash – client does not like it, needs adjustments
– it takes time to re-draw

basically, i want a quicker way to do it, like the ‘Trace Bitmap’ function in Flash.

I am running PS 7 on Win XP Pro.

Thanks !!

Scott

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 13, 2004
PS 7 has no such facility.

I have an idea that Adobe Streamline may be the tool you need.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 13, 2004
but streamline will give you a bizillion anchor points that smoothing can’t correct.

Another way to go about it is–on a dupe of your image Filter>Facet(smooths out color areas) Filter>Artistic>Cutout with a high number for levels a low number for edge simplicity and a high number for edge fidelity.

Use the Magic Wand to pick up similar areas of color and change the selection to a path in the paths palette (icon on the bottom of the paths palette that has handles) and name the path.

Keep doing this for all of the different colors in your image (magic wand selection and converting to path-saving path in the paths palette. Make sure you rename your last path. Don’t leave it as work path because sometimes it does not export.

Once you have all of your paths export paths to Illustrator.(File>Export>Paths to Illustrator. Open path file in Illustrator (Don’t worry, you’ll see nothing but crop marks) change view from preview to outlines under View and then add a stroke of black from the tool bar(Paths from Photoshop come into Illustrator as no stroke/no fill)

Now fill areas with color and you have vector art without re-drawing! (and yes it is vector because it was generated from paths!)
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jul 14, 2004
I have made an action to do this (PS 7+).

See Phosphor "Vectorize – A Quick Tutorial (by Mathias and Pierre)" 5/24/04 8:56am </cgi-bin/webx?50>

One color only.

Mathias
BO
Burton_Ogden
Jul 14, 2004
Scott,

…basically, i want a quicker way to do it, like the ‘Trace Bitmap’ function in Flash.

Just out of curiosity, why not just use the ‘Trace Bitmap’ in Flash?

— Burton —
LM
Lim_Meng_Yew
Jul 14, 2004
cause i want to see if Illustrator or Photoshop could do it 🙂
SF
Stacy_Fontenot_-_NSU
Jul 14, 2004
Check out this forum
Vectorize – A Quick Tutorial (by Mathias and Pierre) < http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.1de5f905.3bb3a0 81>
The action is awesome! I love playing with it, but mostly learning about the flexibility and control of a 50% grey layer. That is another topic, but here is the vector info.
Stacy
SF
Stacy_Fontenot_-_NSU
Jul 14, 2004
Sorry about the duplicate reference to the action, Mathias already posted it. Need to click the Show All Messages!
Stacy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections