Is there a trick to rotate the texture in the brushes tool "onthe fly" ?

LG
Posted By
Loic_Gratton
Jan 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am currently using Photoshop CS on a windows XP box.

I think the brushes are absolutely fantastic, and they do everything that I need.

However, when I set a texture to a brush, there doesn’t seem to be a way to rotate this texture on the fly. (an angle setting like in the dynamics pane for example).

I airbrush alot, and this is to be used when I would brush a textile texture on a jacket, for example. I want to avoid saving several angles of any given texture to disk and then using those.

Anyone has a neat trick to share on this?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

W
wes
Jan 16, 2004
You could use presets that would require a couple of clicks to make the changes in the brushes you want.

wrote in message
I am currently using Photoshop CS on a windows XP box.

I think the brushes are absolutely fantastic, and they do everything
that I need.
However, when I set a texture to a brush, there doesn’t seem to be a
way to rotate this texture on the fly. (an angle setting like in the dynamics pane for example).
I airbrush alot, and this is to be used when I would brush a textile
texture on a jacket, for example. I want to avoid saving several angles of any given texture to disk and then using those.
Anyone has a neat trick to share on this?

Thanks.
PC
Patty_Clarke
Jan 17, 2004
Loic,

I’m very new to CS–so excuse me if I’m saying "stupid things."

There is a selection in the Brush Preset Menu that’s called "protect texture"–might this be of help? Also, if you were to create a couple different angled texture brush tips to save—couldn’t you just save them in your brush library to access "on the fly" so to speak rather than a disk??

So I guess, I’m not answering your question—but in return asking more of my own! But sometimes that leads to great discoveries.

Hopefully the "smart people" will chime in.

I just started working with the brushes a couple of days ago and was surprised to see the defaults changed to soft mechanical/hard mechanical etc. I really like the soft mechanical set at a big size utilizing the eraser—it’s sort of like a smudge and feather gig all in one!

Can’t wait to learn all this cool stuff.

Patty
LG
Loic_Gratton
Jan 19, 2004
Hi Patty,

The protect texture feature allows you to retain the same texture parameters across your preset brushes. So if you were to configure a texture setting, you don’t have to fight and try to duplicate it in your other brushes. Scale and properties are preserved.

personally I use it with my dodge and burn brushes. When I create highlights on a surface, the dodge or burn texture will tile perfectly with the underlaying texture (which was previously airbrushed with a colored brush) so that everything will look seamless.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections