T
Posted By
toyboy
Mar 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PShop CS/ Mac OSX 10.3.7 While I am relatively new to both CS and Mac (bought them both last fall) I do have 10+ years experience with Pshop.

Two files with similar, but not exactly the same dimensions. Color depth/mode the same. One is a Tif file, the other is PSD. I have 30 tif files that I want to bring into the PSD as layers.

I know I should be able to hold the Shift Key down while dragging the layer over and have it automatically center itself in the new canvas area. But what is happening is that the right corner of each layer goes to the center, meaning the image is "resting" in the upper left corner. This happens for all layers UNLESS I do a Select All in the PSD.

That appears for now to be the workaround, but it is annoying me that this is happening. It has never done this before with earlier versions of Pshop on my Windows machines. And according to Adobe and other people on another forum, should not be happening here either. But it is.

I have repaired permissions, I have tried this as two different users, my shift keys work fine in other circumstances. Some have offered there is a conflict with a program called Entourage (I don’t have it) or if I had a Network server as an icon in my Dock (I don’t).

But it is obvious that it must be something wrong with either what I’m doing, or have installed, or a conflict of some sort. I just have no idea what it could be or how to troubleshoot this. Photoshop is otherwise working pretty much just fine. I’m open to hearing other suggestions/possibilities.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

T
Tacit
Mar 8, 2005
In , toyboy wrote:

I know I should be able to hold the Shift Key down while dragging the layer over and have it automatically center itself in the new canvas area. But what is happening is that the right corner of each layer goes to the center, meaning the image is "resting" in the upper left corner. This happens for all layers UNLESS I do a Select All in the PSD.

Have you tried dragging from the Layer palette of the source image into the destination image, rather than dragging from the source image’s document window into the destination image?

Art, shareware, photography, polyamory, kink:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
T
toyboy
Mar 8, 2005
Tacit wrote:

Have you tried dragging from the Layer palette of the source image
into
the destination image, rather than dragging from the source image’s document window into the destination image?
If I understand you correctly, that is how I normally do it. I "grab hold" of the name of the layer I’m about to drag in the pallette, hold the shift key, drag it over to the image window of the destination, and let go.
B
bogus
Mar 8, 2005
Could it be that you have pixels beyond the borders of the tif files? That can happen when you cut and paste and would account for the odd behavior you are experencing.

To get rid of them (if they are there):

Select all

Select Image>Crop

Let us know if that is it.

toyboy wrote:

Tacit wrote:

Have you tried dragging from the Layer palette of the source image

into

the destination image, rather than dragging from the source image’s document window into the destination image?

If I understand you correctly, that is how I normally do it. I "grab hold" of the name of the layer I’m about to drag in the pallette, hold the shift key, drag it over to the image window of the destination, and let go.
T
toyboy
Mar 8, 2005
No. I’m sure I don’t. Why? because in the PSD file, I purposely expanded the canvas. All these files were nearly equal in size anyway, but I wanted to make sure that nothing went "off the edge" so I did that expansion.

I don’t see my reply that I made earlier to Tacit, so i’ll repeat it. I AM dragging from the Layer pallette. I am grabbing the sources layer from the pallette, holding the shift key, and then dragging it into the image window of the destination, then letting it go.

Could this be something in my Mac system/setup somehow?
B
bogus
Mar 10, 2005
No, this is not a system thing.

One other thought, if you have a selection on the target file, the dragged layer will be centered on that selection.

toyboy wrote:

No. I’m sure I don’t. Why? because in the PSD file, I purposely expanded the canvas. All these files were nearly equal in size anyway, but I wanted to make sure that nothing went "off the edge" so I did that expansion.

I don’t see my reply that I made earlier to Tacit, so i’ll repeat it. I AM dragging from the Layer pallette. I am grabbing the sources layer from the pallette, holding the shift key, and then dragging it into the image window of the destination, then letting it go.

Could this be something in my Mac system/setup somehow?
E
edjh
Mar 12, 2005
toyboy wrote:
PShop CS/ Mac OSX 10.3.7 While I am relatively new to both CS and Mac (bought them both last fall) I do have 10+ years experience with Pshop.
Two files with similar, but not exactly the same dimensions. Color depth/mode the same. One is a Tif file, the other is PSD. I have 30 tif files that I want to bring into the PSD as layers.
That appears for now to be the workaround, but it is annoying me that this is happening. It has never done this before with earlier versions of Pshop on my Windows machines. And according to Adobe and other people on another forum, should not be happening here either. But it is.

I have repaired permissions, I have tried this as two different users, my shift keys work fine in other circumstances. Some have offered there is a conflict with a program called Entourage (I don’t have it) or if I had a Network server as an icon in my Dock (I don’t).

But it is obvious that it must be something wrong with either what I’m doing, or have installed, or a conflict of some sort. I just have no idea what it could be or how to troubleshoot this. Photoshop is otherwise working pretty much just fine. I’m open to hearing other suggestions/possibilities.
I have had the same issue off and on with OS X and CS, never in a previous PS version on either Mac or Windows. I think it may be a bug in OS X.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections