JF
Posted By
JIMMY FONG
Jul 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
need to drag a layered TEXT to another image but need to be in the same location placement as the original – how do i accomplish this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 20, 2003
I’ve been playing with it and can’t figure it out Jimmy. The best I can come up with is to do it the other way around. Leave the text layer alone and drag the intended background to the image with the text. That is, of course, assuming that both images are the same dimensions. You can always select the canvas (Select|All) and align the new background to the canvas. And if you have more than one layer in the image where the text was supposed to go, the one you’re dragging, you can put them in sets.

PITA, but that’s all I can come up with <shrug>.

Peace,
Tony
P
Phosphor
Jul 20, 2003
Sure, Jimmy…

Start dragging your text, and when your cursor (and the associated outline box indicating that you’re moving something) is inside the bounds of your new document window, hold down the SHIFT key, then let up on your mouse button.

Similarly, you can click and drag the layer directly from the Layers Palette, and apply the same SHIFT key method from above when you drop it into the new document window.

Should work with all layer objects, as well as "marching ants" selections.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 20, 2003
Holy Cripes Phosphor! Excellent!

I never thought of that. Phosphor to the rescue once again.

Peace,
Tony
P
Phosphor
Jul 20, 2003
Not to the rescue, Tony. I just had a filled-in memory tidbit that you didn’t.

I use your posts to fill my knowledge gaps on a regular basis. Especially when it comes to thoroughness and good attitude.

SO TAKE THAT, YA BEANBUTT!

;o)
P
Phosphor
Jul 21, 2003
I was completely, totally, kidding on that last bit, Tony.

I even tried to use a funny epithet.

Hence the WinkieCon.
P
Phosphor
Jul 21, 2003
"Come back to the five and dime, Jimmy Fong, Jimmy Fong"

"Wherefor art thou, Jimmy Fong?"
CW
Colin Walls
Jul 21, 2003
But my new Microsoft Super-extended ultra-ergonomic gee-wizz keyboard only has 125 function keys. Darn – I’ll have to upgrade.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 21, 2003
Muwahahahaha
P
Phosphor
Jul 21, 2003
BIG HEH! @ the F126 situation. I still looking for someone to help me prototype a hardware peripheral device that is ergonomically designed to allow Photoshop users to access a few hundred key-shorties with their non-mouse hand. Have sketches, will travel. It’s the venture capital I can’t get.

===========================================

Cheers, Tony! I figured that you figured, that I knew that you knew, what I thought that you thought…….. Ach…we both made correct assumptions.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 21, 2003
It’s the venture capital I can’t get

Are you serious? Do you really have a design?
P
Phosphor
Jul 21, 2003
Yup.

Griffin has their PowerMate < http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/blackpm. html>, a devilishly simple device to ease the flow for digital video editors.

I’ve drawn out a USB device that when laid on the desk has programmable keys that fall naturally under the users (left or right) hand. It would make accessing literally HUNDREDS (maybe thousands…haven’t calculated the permutations) of key shorties easy, fast and painless. Leave the keyboard for typing text. The Command[CTRL], Option [ALT], Control [Right Click], SHIFT and Space Bar Modifiers could all be accessed singly, or in any combination with just the thumb. Other rows of buttons, arrayed in an arch could be assigned whatever commands you want.

I’ve said too much already.
CW
Colin Walls
Jul 21, 2003
Alternatively, you could write a special keyboard driver that would accept a second [regular $20] keyboard and remap all the keys …
P
Phosphor
Jul 21, 2003
But the keyboard isn’t very ergonomically designed for a Photoshop power-user.

Like I said….leave the keyboard for typing text. Gimme a smarter device to jam (in the musical, improv sense) with, with easier to reach key-shortcuts.

Calling Jonathan Ive, come in Jon…..
P
Phosphor
Jul 22, 2003
" ‘Cos little [Jimmy]
[Jimmy] won’t, [come] home
but can’t push [Jimmy] round
[Jimmy] won’t go;
try tellin’ ev’rybody
but,oh no.
little [Jimmy]
[Jimmy] won’t, [come]home." <http://www.lyricsfind.com/lyrics/7580/74866.php>
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 22, 2003
Rebel.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections