TW
Posted By
Tom_Walace
Dec 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I select a layer within a Photoshop CS2 document – and drag a copy within that same document, the copy instantly becomes globally lighter in tone?!!

So, I end up with a copy that is lighter toned than the original that I drag-copied within my document. I would assume that a copy should look identical in tonal values to the original?

Why is this happening and what can I do to correct it?

Thanks for your help and advice.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Dec 28, 2006
what can I do to correct it?

Set the layer mode back to "normal"

Check the layer opacity

Check the position of any adjustment layers
TW
Tom_Walace
Dec 28, 2006
Chris –

Layer was/is set to normal.

All opacities were/are 100%

Don’t have any adjustment layers that I know of….

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
B
Bernie
Dec 28, 2006
The layer may have an opacity of 100%, but you may have partial transparency on the image anyways.

Can you post a screen capture?

<http://www.pixentral.com>
TW
Tom_Walace
Dec 28, 2006
Here’s a capture of a slice of the image I’m talking about….note:

The top image is the original – – the bottom image was drag/copied below the original.

If you compare the tones from the top to the bottom you’ll see significant differences.

Here’s the link:

[URL= http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1eSEsSwiI1Q98N7LJO OhYVLgm0kMJe][IMG] http://www.pixentral.com/hosted/1eSEsSwiI1Q98N7LJOOhYVLgm0kM Je_thum
TW
Tom_Walace
Dec 28, 2006
I think I just discovered the problem!

When I move an image from the top of my monitor to the bottom, it becomes lighter!! It’s the lamps in my monitor!

I just bought this ViewSonic 22" Widescreen…..should I return it?
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 28, 2006
Does it have a specification?
TW
Tom_Walace
Dec 28, 2006
Well, it says on the box: " XtremeView – wide viewing angle enhances image clarity from all directions."
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 28, 2006
That’s pretty vague. I would contact the retailer or the manufacturer.
TW
Tom_Walace
Dec 28, 2006
Yes – I did, and they had their typical idiotic techs that put me on hold for 20 minutes to "check" on it. When they returned to the phone, they asked me to adjust a setting on the monitor that a 1st grader would have known had nothing to do with the problem I described.

Basically…if I move my visual position vertically or horizontally more than an inch or so….the colors on the monitor that are slightly further away from my viewing position dramatically change.

Totally unacceptabe viewing angle specs…. my dual Lacie monitors don’t exhibit this at all….guess I should have stuck with the Lacie’s, eh?
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 28, 2006
There are quite a few LCD monitors available which don’t exhibit this behaviour.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections