Is there any way to drag image to another and have the layer named with with doc it came from

HR
Posted By
Howard_Rudnick
Jan 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I work with many designers, who drag images into other files, and don’t name the layer to indicate where it came from. If you need to reimport it later, this could involve much wasted time. Is there any way to have the dragged image acquire the layer name, instead of layer 9, etc.? I tried to do it with an action, involving copying the name from the file in the finder,and pasting, but it doesn’t work. Could possibly do with scripts, but I don’t want my brain to go in that direction. Any ideas?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 9, 2007
What version? It should do that already.They must be Copy/Pasting if it doesn’t.
B
Buko
Jan 9, 2007
in the flyout duplicate your layer.

you will get a popup dialog that allows you to rename the layer and paste it in another document that is open or make a new doc to place it in.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 9, 2007
But…as I said above, there’s no need to do this. Dragged layers bring their name with them.
B
Buko
Jan 9, 2007
they wanted the name of the original doc in the layer name.

just another way to accomplish the same thing.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 9, 2007
Maybe, but that’s not how I read it…

"Is there any way to have the dragged image acquire the layer name, instead of layer 9, etc.?"

Seems to me if they wanted that the easy way would be to have the document name on the Clipboard and just paste it to the layer name each time, however it’s brought over. Maybe it could be scripted.
HR
Howard_Rudnick
Jan 9, 2007
My original issue was to be able to drag the file (say named E6958) into another file and have the layer named E6958, without having to copy/paste. If a layer was already named it wouldn’t be an issue.I’m using CS2. This is for people who don’t have time to have this info transferred to new doc, without copy/paste. Copy/paste is obvious, but some people need it simpler. Any ideas?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 9, 2007
Ask on the Photoshop Scripting forum. It might be possible with a script.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jan 9, 2007
It’s a bug – its been reported.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections