Getting rid of camera flash/reflection/glare using PS/Gimp? (not redeye)

G
Posted By
gaikokujinkyofusho
Feb 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).

Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Gaiko

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Brian
Feb 8, 2005
wrote:
I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).
Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?

-Gaiko
Do you have an example or 2 you could share with us, Gaiko. Depending on what the glare is appearing on would determine the method of reducing and/or removing it. Glare on a face, for example, could be removed by careful cloning from good areas of skin using a high transparency for the clone tool. Or filling the area with a high transparency and then adding a little "noise". The list goes on and on, depending on the subject which method you might use.
If you can supply an image, I am happy to correct it to the best of my ability and then tell you step by step how I went about it.

Brian.
JH
Joal Heagney
Feb 27, 2005
Brian wrote:
wrote:

-Gaiko

If it’s a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can do is the following:

1. Select by colour the glare area.
2. Feather selection.
3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.

Joal.
NE
no_email
Feb 27, 2005
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:23:31 GMT, Joal Heagney
wrote:

Brian wrote:
wrote:

-Gaiko

If it’s a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can do is the following:

2. Feather selection.

Joal.

If the spots are truly "washed out" meaning no info exept the purest white… that will not help.
C
Clyde
Feb 27, 2005
Joal Heagney wrote:
Brian wrote:

wrote:

-Gaiko

2. Feather selection.

Joal.

I use the Patch Tool. Well, most of the time.

Clyde
JH
Joal Heagney
Feb 27, 2005
ZONED! wrote:
wrote:

Brian wrote:

wrote:

-Gaiko

2. Feather selection.

Joal.

If the spots are truly "washed out" meaning no info exept the purest white… that will not help.

Not necessarily. If the spots are small enough, by using curves they tend to stand out less in the overall image. I used it once on a beach scene (Damn me if I didn’t wipe the images off my hard-drive though.) to deemphasis the litter on the sand. Also, that’s where the feather selection comes in – by blurring into the rest of the image, you regain pseudo-information. *grins*

Joal
N
nomail
Feb 27, 2005
Joal Heagney wrote:

2. Feather selection.

Joal.

Not necessarily. If the spots are small enough, by using curves they tend to stand out less in the overall image. I used it once on a beach scene (Damn me if I didn’t wipe the images off my hard-drive though.) to deemphasis the litter on the sand. Also, that’s where the feather selection comes in – by blurring into the rest of the image, you regain pseudo-information. *grins*

You forget to mention one thing. When used in the normal way, Curves does not lower the value of pure white. You need to drag the upper right top of the curve downwards, something many people wouldn’t realize. You can also use Levels and drag the LOWEST right slider (the one underneath that gradient) to the left. It still won’t be very pretty though, all you do is make white a little bit grey.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
J
jjs
Feb 27, 2005
Clone tool is the way to go if you want to avoid boundary conditions. Charge extra for this stuff while you can; the photography talent out there is getting worse every day and pretty soon some bright person will come up with a tragic, half-assed "bloom eliminator" or something like that that the market will think is just wonderfull. It won’t be, but they will be happy.
NE
no_email
Feb 27, 2005
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:52:48 GMT, Joal Heagney
wrote:

ZONED! wrote:
wrote:

Brian wrote:

wrote:

-Gaiko

2. Feather selection.

Joal.

Joal
It looks like crap to me *s*
JH
Joal Heagney
Feb 28, 2005
ZONED! wrote:

Oh well. As they say Your Mileage May Vary.

Joal
B
Brian
Feb 28, 2005
Joal Heagney wrote:
ZONED! wrote:

Oh well. As they say Your Mileage May Vary.

Joal

Well, I made an offer to Gaiko right at the start of this thread, that if he/she sent me a pic as an example, I would fix it up and explain how I went about it. I guess some people don’t really want help at all.

Brian.
E
embee
Feb 28, 2005
As others have pointed out, you’ll struggle to get an acceptable result if the areas are completely blown. But one method I find useful if there is at least SOME detail is to create a new layer and use the Clone (or sometimes Healing) brush set in DARKEN mode. You can then adjust the opacity of the layer until you get something you are happy(ish) with.

"Joal Heagney" wrote in message
Brian wrote:
wrote:

-Gaiko

2. Feather selection.

Joal.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections