Posted By
Johan_Gregefalk
Aug 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I having problems with fixing red eyes in my digital photos. I have followed the help instructions, but I must be doing something wrong. I can only get a grey dot over the red eyes, which don’t always cover the eyes. Thankful for your help! Yours faithfully, Johan Gregefalk

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 16, 2004
Terri Foster gave a detailed way to correct for red eye in this thread. I think post #3 has step by step instructions, but it’ll be easy to find because the thread isn’t very long.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2cd05b71>
MS
Mark_Sand
Aug 16, 2004
Johan,

Try these steps:

1. Zoom image to get a large eye.
2. Choose a soft Red Eye brush slightly larger than the pupil.
4. Click Default Colors to set black as replacement color.
or
Click on Replacement box to select color.

Note: Dark replacement colors (including black) appear gray since the Red Eye tool paints with a transparent black by using a blending mode so that the highlights in the eye are preserved.
5. Select First Click from Sampling pop-up menu and specify Tolerance of 30%.
6. Click cross-hairs on red area of eye to specify the color for removal.
7. Drag over the eye until red is replaced.
If not all red is removed, do either:
– increase Tolerance level
– individually click red spots

If replacement is too light, use the Burn tool to darken. If replacement is too dark, use the Dodge tool to lighten.

Many readers of this forum agree there are better ways of removing red eye than the Red Eye Tool. If you do a search in this forum for "red eye" you will find all kinds of ways.
Here is a method I like:

1. Zoom image to get a large eye.
2. Using Lasso tool, select red area plus a few extra pixels and feather the selection a few pixels.
3. [optional] Copy & paste selection into new layer.
4. Enhance -> Adjust Color -> Hue/Saturation
Select red from Edit menu and reduce saturation until
the red goes away.
5. Optionally adjust Lightness on same selection.
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 16, 2004
Johan,

Since I’ve gotten more experienced with masks, I’ve found a better way…at least for me. Create a Hue/Adjustment layer over you photo. Pick REDS in the dialog box and move the hue slider to a color you can really see like blue or green. Yes, the whole photo changed and the pupil black but that will come in the next couple of steps. After clicking okay, fill the adjustment layer with black. You’re photo will look just like the original…red eye and all. Now, select a soft brush about the size of the pupil. Use white with the Hue/Sat layer active and paint the pupils. They will turn blue or whatever hue you picked out. When finished painting all the red out of the pupils, click on the Hue/Sat layer to open it back up. You need to again adjust the Reds. It’s super important that you use the REDS dialog and not the master or you will lose the pupils luminosity and it will look very bad. In the reds dialog box, drop saturation and lightness values down to zero. You can also tinker with Hue. Sometimes the black gets a touch richer if you adjust this. The true beauty of doing it this way is that by painting with black to hide or white to reveal you can adjust your "selected" area of change without starting over from scratch.
I think you’ll be impressed with the results you get.

Edit: When I said zero out the saturation and lightness values, I should have said pull the sliders all the way left to the max negative value. I thought I should correct that oversight on my part.

Terri

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections