A
Posted By
adam
Jan 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to save a file I have loaded in Adobe Photoshop (version 6.5) as an EPS file but with the image information compressed so the file is not so large. The image files are going to be loaded in another application that understands _only_ EPS, so I cannot use TIF or GIF or some other format which uses compression automatically.
Is there a way to do this Photoshop?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EG
Eric Gill
Jan 27, 2005
wrote in news:1106866522.913164.261340
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I want to save a file I have loaded in Adobe Photoshop (version 6.5) as an EPS file but with the image information compressed so the file is not so large. The image files are going to be loaded in another application that understands _only_ EPS, so I cannot use TIF or GIF or some other format which uses compression automatically.

Other than selecting JPEG as an encoding method in the Save as EPS options?
O
Odysseus
Jan 27, 2005
In article ,
wrote:

You can save an EPSF using JPEG encoding, by choosing the appropriate option in the Save As dialog, but some applications may not handle such files correctly for printing &c., and of course this method is lossy. If your main size issue has to do with transferring files, note that EPSFs often compress quite well in .zip or Stuffit archives — especially bitmaps, which can be losslessly reduced by 90% or more.

Choosing not to include a preview will cut down a bit on the file size; whether or not this is worthwhile depends partly on the resolution.

Another possibility, if it’s not so much disk space as ‘overhead’ that you’re trying to save, may be (if the application in question supports it) to use the DCS1 format; although the total file size in this format is generally larger than it would be as a standard EPS, until the image is printed as colour separations only the small, low-resolution placeholder or master file needs to be handled by the importing program.

Odysseus
T
tacitr
Jan 28, 2005
I want to save a file I have loaded in Adobe Photoshop (version 6.5) as an EPS file but with the image information compressed so the file is not so large.

EPS files can be saved with JPEG encoding; however, doing this has several disadvantages:

1. Many programs do not understand JPEG-encoded EPS files;

2. The compression is lossy, and degrades image quality;

3. Older PostScript devices can’t print them; and

4. Some programs can’t separate a JPEG-encoded EPS even if the printer does support JPEG encoding.

Why do you want to compress the files? How big are the images, what resolution, and what is the constraint–hard disk space, image transfer time, or something else?

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections