LS
Posted By
Leah_Sawyer
Nov 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
am encountering this disk error message sporatically, usually every few days I cannot save files or any changes because of this generic "disk error". Running CS on 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 with 1.25 GB RAM on OSX 10.3.9. disc utility has been run once but for the most part when the problem stops it is randomly and of its own accord. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and I need some advice. thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Nov 24, 2006
Did you by any chance have a DVD in the drive when you got that error? Others have reported that as one of the causes.

There can be other causes, like hardware issues.
CM
Cord_Moorhead
Nov 28, 2006
I am getting the similar problem. I keep getting "cannot save because of program error" though. This has been an annoying and persistent problem on both a G5 Quad 2.5GHz and a G4 800 MHz.

I am saving to an external Firewire drive so I can at least Save As… to desktop when it gives me the error using Save.

This is happening on fresh installs on the G5 as well.
FG
Fran_Gottlieb
Nov 29, 2006
am on mac iBook G4.
in photoshop 7.0.1
I display an image by double clicking on the image in a file or using "open" in photoshop. Then I click "duplicate" under " Image". I get second image but I cannot save or save as a second image due to a "program error"
somedays, it works for a while and then I start getting…cannot save due to a program error. I have tried restarting and help sections, but have not found a solution.
Fran
B
Buko
Nov 30, 2006
Does this happen in a new user?
CM
Cord_Moorhead
Nov 30, 2006
Yes. Mine happens on a brand new G5 Quad. Only been up and running for two weeks. New from the box—First User. And fresh install of Photoshop CS2 (no copied over files of any sort from old system).

-cord
R
Ram
Nov 30, 2006
Cord,

What Buko was suggesting is that you CREATE a new, fresh account and log-in as a different user. That’s the first step in determining where the problem might lie.
CM
Cord_Moorhead
Nov 30, 2006
Hi.

I assumed that since the new computer that was only a week and a half old with a new install of all system software and application software — that the New User could be considered a new, fresh account.

The problem is that the error is intermittant, so it is hard to reproduce. Usually a restart (or a fresh login with same or different user) clears up the problem for a while. So next time I receive "program error- cannot save to disk", I will do a multi-user login and see If I can replicate the problem.
R
Ram
Nov 30, 2006
I assumed that … that the New User could be considered a new, fresh account.

Wrong assumption. The trick is to create a fresh NEW account after the problem crops up.
B
Buko
Nov 30, 2006
Sounds like you need to run Disk Utility or DiskWarrior.
CM
Cord_Moorhead
Nov 30, 2006
Next time this pops up, I will try creating a new account. But as I said, A Fresh open of Photoshop generally solves the problem for a while (based off of same problems arising with a previous system). And so does a reboot of system or new log in.

I repair permissions quite often and run disk warrior every so often, and this did not solve the problem (at least on previous system).

But as I said, the problem is intermittant, and not necessarily a replicable problem.

Thanks for your input though
GB
g_ballard
Nov 30, 2006
DISK ERROR is a common topic here that’s well covered in the archives and it almost always points to bad hardware (drives, cables, boards, drivers, ram).

<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/osx_troubleshooting.html> <http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html> <http://www.gballard.net/macrant/ram.html>

If all else fails, anything that new and intermittent [I] would return to factory hardware, reformat with zero write option, and install only the OS/Photoshop and all the updaters…

I know that’s a pain, but at the end of the morning at least I have ruled out the install and have something solid to form an opinion on regarding bad hardware to insist on warranty replacement.

The other option is to limp along for days, weeks, months hoping to get lucky…
CC
Craig_Cheatham
Nov 30, 2006
We get the message, "cannot save because of a Program Error". My co-workers had this problem bit I never had it until upgrading to Tiger on a dual core G5. This issue shows up on all of our G5s running Tiger. Seems to occur most often after PS has been running for several hours, but that is not always the case.

This seems to be an issue of Tiger and how it handles caches.

Craig Cheatham
B
Buko
Nov 30, 2006
I have a dual core G5 never seen the problem
GB
g_ballard
Nov 30, 2006
which is i guess the point
EG
Ed_Gerson
Nov 30, 2006
I get the same error whenever my internal 80G HD has less than approx 15Gigs of free space. The sympton is the same and so is the cure: get the garbage off your internal HD to free up space. I’m sure there are other causes in others’ experiences. – Ed
SF
Stefanie_Fink
Dec 27, 2006
I keep getting the same message: Cannot save because of a disk error. I am using Photoshop CS on a G4. Anyone have any suggestions??
B
Buko
Dec 27, 2006
Have you tried any of the solutions listed in this thread?

If so which ones?
EG
Ed_Gerson
Dec 28, 2006
Speaking for myself, when I have this error my hard drive is more than 80% full. PS needs elbow room on the start up HD; scratch disk seems a ram enhancer (hey, new terminology, yee haaaa!) – Ed

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections