BH
Posted By
Billy_Hinton
Oct 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I used the lasso tool to cut around an image in Photoshop 7.0, then copied the image and pasted it into a new file with the "transparency" option selected (no image background). Then, saved it as an EPS file to preserve transparency.

When importing the file into InDesign CS3, a white background appears with the EPS image. I can save the image as a PSD file which allows the image to maintain transparency but the quiality does not appear to be as sharp as the EPS file.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Billy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Oct 29, 2008
The eps format does not support transparency (normally). Use a Clipping Path or a format like psd that does.

Why would you be using eps anyway?

The quality should be exactly the same. Must be something else going on there.
B
Buko
Oct 29, 2008
EPS does not support transparency unless you make a clipping path.

the clipping path is not real transparency.

if you want to retain transparency in a file save as tif, PSD or PDF.
B
Buko
Oct 29, 2008
Yes EPS is an old and tired format a throwback to last century, I avoid EPS as much as possible.
BH
Billy_Hinton
Oct 29, 2008
Thanks.

I’ll avoid EPS files like you said.

After cutting out the image in Photoshop, I saved it as a TIFF file but when placing it into InDesign the background still appears white instead of transparent. When saving the image in Photoshop there is only one layer and a checkered background.

Any ideas why I’m getting a white background in InDesign? The only file extension that is saving with transparency is PSD.

Thanks!

Billy
B
Buko
Oct 29, 2008
I prefer PSD over tiff personally.

on the tif choose High Quality display
BH
Billy_Hinton
Oct 29, 2008
Buko,

Can you please tell me how to choose high quality display in Photoshop 7.0?

Thanks!
JM
John_Mensinger
Oct 29, 2008
Billy,

It’s in InDesign that you’ll have to set High Quality Display…from the View menu.
P
Phosphor
Oct 29, 2008
When you Save a transparent tiff, make sure the Preserve Transparency check box in TIFF Options is ticked.
PW
Pat_Wallace
Nov 5, 2008
I have an old photoshop duotone image I’ve placed in an indd doc as a master page item that does not print out correctly as it used to. The color balance is off, with the color being too orange-y instead of a pastel peach. I have a new computer with 800 x 1280 monitor display, while my old computer was 768 x 1000 display. Is it the change in my monitor display that is causing a strange color shift? In my color management advanced tab, it shows the manufacturer’s profile. Can someone give me an idea of what might be causing this, and some suggestions as to what I might do to try and correct it? Thanks a lot.

Pat
B
Buko
Nov 5, 2008
Calibrate the monitor using your hardware calibrator.
PW
Pat_Wallace
Nov 6, 2008
Hi Buko,

Would that be going into my display settings and adjusting the color settings and resolution? Thanks.

Pat

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections