CS3 Extended .eps file save error, "already in use".

TR
Posted By
Travis_Roberts
Dec 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Len, thanks for posting.

Our marketing department uses clipping paths on a regular basis. What would be a better alternative?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BL
Bob Levine
Dec 13, 2007
Live transparency. Clipping paths are so 2001.

Bob
L
LenHewitt
Dec 14, 2007
Travis,

Just delete superfluous content (or better, use a layer mask since that is editable) in Photoshop and save as PSD. When the .PSD is placed in Illustrator, the transparency will be respected.

Whereas a clipping path only allows hard-edged selections, using Photoshop’s transparency will allow soft-edged selections such as drop shadows, and translucency effects to be output from Illustrator.
P
pila
Dec 19, 2007
I am getting the same error in CS3 (updated to 10.0.1) when saving localy, a JPG file just copied manualy to my PC straight from the camera (no Lightroom, no anything else), and then when I wish to save it as PSD (layers, paths). I never had any problems with PS v7.

To me, it is obviously that this is a pure PS CS error since if I insist on trying to save it, in most cases, after several retries (and errors reported), it will be saved!

And, each time this fails, I get a ~ps1E0.tmp file in my working folder.
LR
Lelynn_Ruggles
Jan 4, 2008
Hi Bob,

I am one of the designers here experiencing .eps problems. It seems that you might know something that I don’t, so I hope you don’t mind if I pick your brain a little bit. Here are the current specifications of our design world.

* Photo library of 400-500 .eps images. Single image in each file. Clipping path in each file (for instance around a telephone cord) We are intersted in crispy vector edges

* When using the images in InDesign, we have roughly 30 images per page, linked. We are aware that .tiffs can be used in InDesign that respect transparencies

* When using images in Illustrator, we use up to 12 images per file. We tend not to embed incase we make a change to the original image. Illustrator does not seem to support .tiffs.

My question to you is if clipping paths are antiquated, what other formats should we be looking at to save on our network that can be supported in InDesign, Illustrator and Flash without needing to have 3 different copies in the photo library for each application?

Thank you much for your guidance and Happy New Year.
Lelynn
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 4, 2008
I’m an expert in InDesign but not Illustrator and certainly not Flash.

InDesign can use TIF, PSD, or PDF if you need transparency. I think you’d be better off taking this over to the Illy forum if you need info on those programs.

Of course, none of this explains the error messages.

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections