MM
Posted By
Mike_Marketello
Dec 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a pent III that had win98SE installed. About two weeks ago PS started having a problem finding my scanner. After installing and updating my epson perfection 1200 drivers, the problem persisted.

About this time my nephew talked me into updating to win 2000, installing over the top of 98. Had a few problems, but all is running steady, except PS still can’t find my scanner.

I have gone to epson, and installed the latest driver, I have re-installed PS.

When I go to the control panel win 2000 says all is well with the epson, same with the device manager, it says that the device is comunicating properly.

I noticed that although I re-instaled PS the preference file must still be the old one because my work spaces are still there. Is it possible that the prefs. file could cause this problem. PS says that it can’t find the scanner 50% of the time, the other 50% of the time it says the scanner isn’t responding.

Any ideas? Thank you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
larry
Dec 3, 2003
Check "Scanners and Cameras" in the Control Panel and see if it’s listed. I think you can test it there also. Then you can delete your preferences and let Photoshop rebuild them next time the program loads. But I seem to recall Photoshop keeping the preferences in Win 98 in a different location than Win2K, but someone else could verify that.

It was not a good idea installing an operating system as an upgrade. You would have been better off backing up your data and reformatting the hard drive and doing a clean install of Win2K. Better yet, just pick up a new hard drive and use it as a C Drive and put your existing drive in as the D Drive. That way you have the best of both worlds, a clean new operating system and access to your data. Hard drives are cheap now, 120 gig Maxtor for $110 and 160 gig Maxtor for $130 at Costco.

Larry Berman
MM
Mike_Marketello
Dec 3, 2003
Ya, I know, I just didn’t want to re-install for a week, and so far the kid did OK, the PC is running good with this acception.

The scanner is listed in the "scanners & camera’s" section of the control panel, and when tested win 2000 says it is working properly.
RG
Russell_Gatlin
Dec 5, 2003
I’m having the same problem — but without the OS upgrade. I’ve been using my Epson 1200U scanner with Corel PhotoPaint 9 without any problems (P4, XP Professional. I installed Creative Suite yesterday, and now I can’t scan with either PhotoShop or PhotoPaint. "Scanners and Cameras" in Control Panel says everythign is fine with the scanner, but PhotoShop says "Could not open the TWAIN source. Make sure there is a valid source in the TWAIN directory found in the Windows directory." I’ve installed the latest Epson driver, but no change. Epson tech support hasn’t responded yet, but it doesn’t sound like the OS upgrade is the problem. I think it’s PhotoShop thing.
RG
Russell_Gatlin
Dec 5, 2003
Found a solution — at least for me. Used "add or remove programs" in the control panel to remove all Epson software. Then reinstalled the latest driver (Epson TWAIN 5). Everything is working fine now.
JD
James_Dodge
Dec 6, 2003
Mike,

I had the same problem awhile back, brought the computer in for service and was told that a virus was stopping me from recognizing my scanner.

Thought this may be helpful.

James
T
Torbj
Dec 6, 2003
For a couple of years now my scanner has been "lost",however that is a diminiutive problem since the standalone solution probably cost you only some few seconds more, saving the scan to its appropiate place,and then open it in Phs.
ts.
MM
Mike_Marketello
Dec 7, 2003
OK, here it is, kind of embaressing though. Yesterday out of the blue the scanner started to work, so I jumped on it. Scanned some work that needed to be done, then thirty minutes later it wasn’t working again. I thought this has to be hardware, not software. I know that printer cables can cause fits, but I have never heard of a USB cable doing the same. Ran down to the radio shack…problem solved.

I don’t know why it is that the first thing I try when I have printer problems is to replace the printer cable, but it never dawned on me to try the same with a scanner.

These computers can humble all right.

Thanks for the input..

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections