JD
Posted By
Joe_Dempsey
Nov 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
have just installed (yesterday) the CS Premium Upgrade. I like the new features, however I am experiencing frequent crashes in PS and AI. Anybody have any clues. Toshiba Laptop P4 2.8, 1 Gig of ram.
Thanks,
Joe

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 2, 2003
What kind of crashes? How about giving us a little something to go on?

Bob
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Nov 2, 2003
It seems to be associated with VersionCue and happens when I am opening a file. If I open a file using VersionCue, the operation seems to work fairly well. If I try to open "Local File," nothing seems to happen and if I (accidentally or on purpose) click on anything else in the active window, the PS palettes white out and the program goes to "This program is not responding." My apologies for being non-specific. It was late and I was worn out. Any help will be welcome and appreciated.
Kindest regards,
Joe
W
wings
Nov 2, 2003
I don’t know the answer, but I do want to make a comment.

Windows responding with "This program is not responding" doesn’t always mean that it crashed.

In most cases it’s a sign of a procssor being very busy. It’s also quite normal under these circumstances (for Windows that is) if you click somewhere else that one of this Windows turn white. Most of the time it’s not something to be really worried about. Frustrating? Yes!

Try it again and wait a bit longer this time.
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Nov 2, 2003
Wings, I’ll give it a shot … I forgot to add that I also get the "End Now" XP box and when the program closes, XP sends the malfunction message to Redmond
TNX,
Joe
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 2, 2003
Joe, does this happen with all files or just one?

Bob
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Nov 2, 2003
Robert: It has happened with different files.
Thanks!
Joe
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 2, 2003
Is that local file on your harddrive or a network drive?

Bob
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Nov 2, 2003
On local hard drive
Joe
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Nov 2, 2003
Bob and others with interest in this issue:
I have gone back to see if I can further isolate the problem. Here are the conditions: Totoal ram available with PS and VC running-664 plus or minus a few; PS opens fine and I open one of two files that I need to work on, both psd files with a total of probably 175 mb or less (I have worked with 3-400 mb files on this computer with PS7 with no problems — other that long processing times). The first file opens fine. When I go to open the second file that I need, either by selecting recent files or by using the open function, the file open dialog box goes gray and nothing happens. The last time I tried this (just a few minutes ago, I waited five minutes by the clock for the second file to open and in that time it did not open. I hope this information gives some clues as to the malady. Thanks for any and all help and suggestions.
Kindest regards,
Joe
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Nov 2, 2003
One other condition I forgoto to mention; Version Cue is enabled in PS, but when I use "open file" in lieu of "open recent files" the file open box does not display the version Cue selection in the lower left corner … only "local files."
TNX,
Joe
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 2, 2003
Have you tried opening that file in PS 7?

Bob
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Nov 2, 2003
Unfortunately, to save HD space, I dumped PS7, AI20, etc Joe
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 2, 2003
If you’re that low on harddrive space, I would start to suspect that as a problem.

Bob
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Nov 2, 2003
The HD is 55 gig … I have 22.5 available. I am going to turn off VC and retry. Thanks for your interest,
Joe
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 2, 2003
When you deleted PS 7 were you asked about deleting any shared files? If so, did you say yes or no?

Bob
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Nov 2, 2003
I dumped ’em all. I think I may have found the problem. I failed to save versions in PS when I closed. So when I opened the first file with a saved version, everything was OK. Then I attempted to open the second file that I finally noticed that was already "in use by me" and I don’t think VC wants me to do that. What I did was open each file by itself and save a version and whe I went back to open the second file, it worked. I’ll continue experimenting, right now, I am working on my files with a degree of success. As is normal in life, most of our problems are self-inflicted … this may be one of those. If there is a problem with dumped files, please let me know
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 2, 2003
If there is a problem with dumped files, please let me know

Let’s just say that in this case it’s best to follow Nancy Reagan’s advice and just say no.

Bob
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Nov 2, 2003
Bob:
Thanks for your patience. If you are ever coming to LA (Lower Arkansas), you deserve a lunch or a six-pack or both for your patience and forebearing.
Kindest regarsd,
Joe

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections