Posted By
winter_child
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I have searched the knowledgebase and forums but cannot find any help. I am running Photoshop CS on a G5 dual processor with 2GB of RAM. On occasion the file browser would crash, espcially when browsing files from a CD. Yesteray it crashed arounnd 7 times and now each timer I try to open the file browser the app crashes. I have uninstalled and reintsalled Photoshop, repaired permissions, run Mac Janitor, deleted prefs etc. In short I have tried all the troubleshooting methods. The same problem occurs with Photoshop Elements 2 which I installed in the hope of being able to get some work done. The crash log mentions a Kernel protection.
Any help very welcome. Thanks!
Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SG
Steve_German
Jul 27, 2004
I have had a browser crash problem in PS7, after browsing from a CD, then removing it without first deselecting the CD in the browser. When you open the browser again, it expects the CD images, can’t find them, and crashes. I haven’t worked in CS enough yet to try this.

Steve
R
Ram
Jul 27, 2004
The caveats about opening or saving files over a network also applies to removable media. See:

Buko "Issues When Working from Networks or Removable Media" 3/23/03 11:02am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

and:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>

Copy the CLOSED file from your CD or DVD-ROM to your local HD, work on it, save it again to your HD and close it.
WC
winter_child
Jul 27, 2004
This could well be how I caused the problem in the first place and the info is very useful, but how do I cure it now? Surely deleting the whole app and everything belonging to it and reinstalling should cure this but it hasn’t???
Bob
R
Ram
Jul 27, 2004
Winter,

Well, anytime I see the word "kernel", I immediately think OS.

Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.
WC
winter_child
Jul 28, 2004
Thanks Ramon….I had done the repairing permissions stuff serveral times and I run Mac Janitor daily…I think this does more or less the same as cocktail. I seem to have solved the problem partially but I am not sure how! I went to the finder and typed in the word cache…I then deleted everyhtig that looked like it may be connected with Adobe Photoshop…I had delted the caches I could find before but this may have foudn a few more. Anyway it worked..the browser opened. The only time it crashes now is with large folders..ie one that is 176 mb. Here’s hoping 🙂
The stufff about working woth removbeable media is great though…I have now moved all my files to the HD before I work on them.
Bob
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2004
Winter,

A 176 MB folder is by no means a "large folder". I have many images that are much larger than that in many folders, and I have never had problems. You must have a corrupted file in there.
WC
winter_child
Jul 28, 2004
I thought it didn’t seem over large..I have had larger files! How would I find the corrupted file..any idea’s? Or is there no fast way???
Thanks again
Bob
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2004
In the Finder, drag all the files out of that folder and divide them into several folders. Trash the original folder.

Any file you can’t open or makes you crash is corrupted (damaged).
CS
Chuck_Savage
Jul 29, 2004
For what it’s worth, I’ve been following a thread on the Advertising Photographers of America forum (APA digital) that points a suspicious finger at third party (not Apple) RAM. Anyone heard of this issue? It has something to do with subltle synchonization mismatches between the different RAM mods that do not cause crashes immediately, but later when performing memory intensive operations.
GB
g_ballard
Jul 29, 2004
File Browser (Command+Shift+0) has its own File menu> Purge

Have you tried it?

Deleting Adobe files that way is very dangerous unless you know what you’re doing…kinda reminds me of Spring Cleaning app (how many installs has that app hosed?).

Bad Ram (as well as bad CPU, bad install, bad fonts…) have been discussed here many times. Here is what I have compiled by harvesting the discussions here:

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
R
Ram
Jul 29, 2004
OFF TOPIC: G B, check your mailbox.
R
Ram
Jul 29, 2004
Back on topic:

Deleting Adobe files that way is very dangerous

Which way?
GB
g_ballard
Jul 29, 2004
"Which way"

finder and typed in the word cache…I then deleted everything that
looked like it may be connected with Adobe Photoshop

thanx 4 26 no problem here
WC
winter_child
Jul 29, 2004
Oh dear I thought caches could be deleted safely? I would have tried the purge option in File Browser but the problem was that I could not open File Browser without it crashing. Even when I reimstalled in and ran Disk Utility etc. The only way I got it to work was by that cache search and delete…but which one did the trick I don’t know.
Bob
R
Ram
Jul 29, 2004
Cocktail can delete caches.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jul 30, 2004
Cocktail can delete caches.

Cocktail does NOT delete Photoshop FB cache file nor do we want it to!
R
Ram
Jul 30, 2004
Well, that’s comforting, I guess. 🙂
WC
winter_child
Jul 30, 2004
What and where is the Photoshop FB cache file please…I need to know these things being a bit trigger happy. It comes from years of going through the Windows OS and delteting all the extra rubbish I didn’t want in my OS. And yes I did have a few times when the machine wouldn’t boot due to 3000 missing VXD’s. My Mac days have been happier 🙂
R
Ram
Jul 30, 2004
Winter,

What and where is the Photoshop FB cache file please…I need to know these things being a bit trigger happy.

Post #3 in the thread below may help you. Proceed at your own peril.

Bruce Fraser "Thumbnail purgatory" 7/14/04 5:40pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/2>
WC
winter_child
Jul 30, 2004
Well the file browser has started to crash PS CS again. am browsing a small folder with no corrupted files. Have repaired permissions etc but it still does it. When i go to edit purge in File Browser it is greyed out whatever folder I highlight? Anyone have any Idea whats going on or what I am doing wrong? I run a Mac dual processor on OSX with 2GB RAM.
If anyone can read crash logs here is the first bit:
Date/Time: 2004-07-30 20:50:11 +0100
OS Version: 10.3.4 (Build 7H63)
Report Version: 2

Command: Adobe Photoshop CS
Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS/Adobe Photoshop CS.app/Contents/MacOSClassic/Adobe Photoshop CS
Version: 8.0 (8.0×119) (8.0)
PID: 920
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000008

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 application 0x029f0cdc 0x2008000 + 0x9e8cdc
1 application 0x029b699c 0x2008000 + 0x9ae99c
2 application 0x02aa4e20 0x2008000 + 0xa9ce20

and so on and so forth for another hundred lines or more.

Bob
R
Ram
Jul 30, 2004
Winter,

Hope the Adobe gurus check this thread. The crash log is Chinese to me.

However, as I said before, "kernel Â… failure" reminds me of OS problems, which I suspect might be your case, given that you write

Â… being a bit trigger happy

🙂
R
Ram
Jul 30, 2004
I run a Mac dual processor on OSX with 2GB RAM.

Which OS X? Have you installed the plug-in updates?

What percentage of maximum allowable RAM did you set Photoshop to?
WC
winter_child
Jul 30, 2004
I have PS allowed 1 gb of RAM (I have 2 in total) I am using OS 10.34 all updates etc installed. Bob
R
Ram
Jul 30, 2004
I have PS allowed 1 gb of RAM (I have 2 in total)

By that I assume you mean that you set it to 50%?

That does not mean necessarily 1GB. You may be under a slight misconception there.

As has been pointed out repeatedly in other threads (search the forum), the percentage does not refer to the amount of installed RAM but rather to the percentage of dynamically changing available memory at any given time, after the OS and any other running application(s) have grabbed whatever memory they need.

For the sake of argument, let’s say that in your 2GB machine the OS and other applications (mail program, browser, Illustrator, whatever) have already grabbed 1GB. That means that the available memory at that point would be 1GB. Since you have set Photoshop to 50%, Photoshop will only use up to 500MB (50% of the 1GB available), while the remaining 500MB remain available to other applications and unused by Photoshop even when Photoshop needs more RAM than 0.5GB and therefore has to hit the scratch more.

With 2GB of RAM, I’d tend to set Photoshop to around 65% or so. Of course, I don’t know anything about how your machine is used. I just wanted to clarify the issue of the percentage of dynamically changing available memory at any given time.
WC
winter_child
Jul 30, 2004
Thanks for this info. I will set the RAM to 65%
But I was using nothing else at the time apart from mail. No browsers open just photoshop. I had thought it may be too much going on but hey I know people who run PS while coding videos with no probs! I had emptied the browser cache (I use Shiira but sometimes use Safari and rarely IE). I have no hacks and no third party plug ins as I took them out when i reinstalled PS. Oh and it is not all folders this happens with just some! But I cannot find any badly named or corrupted files..the images will all open individually. I appreciate your help…did the crash log tell you anything at all btw?
Bob
R
Ram
Jul 30, 2004
Winter,

It was just an example to clarify the RAM question for you. I still think you have OS problems. I know it’s a pain to reinstall the OS, butÂ…

You could try creating a new account and logging in as a new user. If you’re lucky that may be all it takes.
LD
Lee_Dronick
Aug 10, 2004
I had this problem today and did a search in the Adobe Forum and Knowledge Base, looking for a solution. My software is up to date so I thought I might have a corrupt file, which in fact was the case.

Searching for a corrupt file I did the "half at a time" technique. From the finder move half the files to a new folder. test PhotoShop browser on the new and old folder it crashed on one of the folders. Repeat the technique and move half the files from the problem folder to a new folder and check again. Do this over and over until you isolate the file, it does not take too long, considering 1000 files in the original folder it goes like this:

Actually I had 8 corrupt files, all from one camera import, I trashed them.

I put the good files back into one folder and tested, the browser worked fine
R
Ram
Aug 10, 2004
…8 corrupt files, all from one camera import…

Which is why the best procedure is to use a card reader and copy the CLOSED files in the Finder by dragging them to a folder on your hard drive, rather than use some camera software or iPhoto to "import" or "download" images from the camera (or from the card itself).
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
You know, we’d REALLY like to get samples of files like that – so we can stop them from crashing the software.
W
Winterchild
Aug 12, 2004
It would be useful to have samples. If i find any to whom should I send them? I agree that although this happens still on occasion (and i use PS a lot) it is much much better since I dragged the files off the card onto the HD rather than trying to browse from the card itself.
Thanks guys!
Bob
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 12, 2004
Send them to

(note, ZIP files won’t make it through our lame firewall – change the extension to .piz )

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections