dsp11
Jan 7, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi,

My problem

have a problem with photoshop crashing on me, in particular when saving it also crashes when doing a large task e.g… rendering lighting effects, running a batch web gallery, site-grinder and trying to perform an action.

After past trouble shooting (described below) if i opened photoshop through bridge (bridge open on selected photo double click to open photoshop with photo) can do minor edit, and when trying to save it crashes!! very sad .. i found that if i made sure i opened photoshop first, then open selected photo i could save … as of late am getting back to original problem of crashing regardless of opening procedure upon trying to save work. sigh .. (i have not added anything new, just the same as before.) at the moment saving is a bit of a hit or miss .. i hold my breath saving!!

make sure that there is a little as possible of other software open at same time .. generally just mail, fire-fox and bridge.

let photoshop open fully on own with out any disturbances .. e.g. checking mail or doing anything else on comp at same time .. the same goes for quitting or running anything automative.

I am only having this problem in photoshop.

have spoken to mac support and they say that they can not help as is only happening in photoshop.

have run disk utilities and comp all fine.

I have photoshop cs4 extended running on a macbook pro, version 10.4.11.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.12f5
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

run photoshop in rosetta. i have a plugin called Lucis Art that requires this.

also have a plugin called fluid mask 3

all these are legal copies i have paid for.

have no additions actions, brushes installed etc .. normal fonts + only a couple of extra’s – legal versions (edwardian script, sanvito, country garden) have tested to see if fonts installed are corrupt and don’t appear to be.

my past trouble shooting.

created a whole new user on mac and trashed old user started everything from fresh, with no plugins, tested all when installing, re-setting presets on opening photoshop. there was another along those lines but can’t remember.

hope i have provided you with enough information to help me. i have read somewhere that it could be a scratch disk issue … not sure but would think this was enough ..

desperately need to have my programs working and hope someone out there can help me!

PLEEEEEAAAASE 🙂

Danielle

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 7, 2009

It runs native under MacOS X 10.4.x. Don’t attempt to run it under Rosetta. (Besides, Rosetta is not a perfect OS emulator.)

Also, you say nothing about how much free hard drive space you have, or how much memory you have allocated to Photoshop.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 7, 2009

It runs native under MacOS X 10.4.x. Don’t attempt to run it under Rosetta. (Besides, Rosetta is not a perfect OS emulator.)

i have a plugin called Lucis Art that requires this.

Update your plug-in, or delete it.

Also, you say nothing about how much free hard drive space you have, or how much memory you have allocated to Photoshop.

Neil
D
dsp11
Jan 7, 2009
Hi Neil,

thanks for that!!

I do believe that you have hit the nail on the head with this one!!

After much hard work trouble shooting i turned off rosetta and wal-la .. it worked! like a treat now!

Unfortunately it appears that i well be unable to use Lucis art now ;( it doesn’t work unless running in rosetta .. i may have to check with them, last i heard they are making you use a dongle with it .. this i do not like! yuck! sigh ;p

well at lest PS is working now … !

oh .. plenty of room on comp .. have about 30GB of space ..
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 7, 2009
Danielle,

plenty of room on comp .. have about 30GB of space

Glad your Photoshop is working again. But…but with today’s technological leaps, 30GB is choking your system. I’d say that you need to free up another 70 GB or more space for OS X and Photoshop scratch functions — get a fast new external FireWire (or USB2) for your old files. Or archive them to DVD or Blu-ray. As your drive fills up, you will experience speed and general operations issues.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 7, 2009
Sidebar:

wal-la

Actually, it’s French: voilà! <g>

Neil
R
Ram
Jan 7, 2009
Danielle,

plenty of room on comp .. have about 30GB of space

That is pathetically little space. :/

Any time a drive is 80% full, you’re already in trouble. 30 GB would be way too little for the Photoshop scratch disk alone, let alone for sharing that itty bitty space with the OS swap files.

My Photoshop scratch is on a totally dedicated, separate, non-partitioned 160 GB hard drive. Others have even more space allocated to the scratch.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 7, 2009
No, dsp11 is right. There are problems with Photoshop crashing on large files, when saving. And his solutions are correct too, you need to keep it simple. And whatever you do, don’t switch applications while saving. I have no plug ins, so its not that.
D
dsp11
Jan 7, 2009
yeah thanks for that! i’m new to this… didn’t know about the i’s!
D
dsp11
Jan 7, 2009
wow.. so you all say that 30GB of space is not enough???

now that i have taken rosetta off ps is working just fine! hmmm …

When i spoke to Photoshop support they said this was fine .. i’m sure more space would be better .. gotta get around to burning dvds, and putting on external drive.

for those of you who have been friendly and helpful i say thank you 🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 7, 2009
dsp,

wow.. so you all say that 30GB of space is not enough??? now that i have taken rosetta off ps is working just fine! hmmm …

Would you rather get an answer from offshore clerks who use ringbound or onscreen cribsheets? Or from folks who actually use the apps on a daily production basis?

Neil
D
dsp11
Jan 7, 2009
now now.. no need to get annoyed with me .. i meant that in the best way that i didn’t realise and now know! i have been and still am very appreciative of your help!

I’m a cherry Aussie gal who means things in the nice way not negative!! 🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 8, 2009
dsp,

There was certainly no annoyance meant in my rhetorical question. A bit of concern about the current state of your computer. But no annoyance! <g>

Neil
LB
Lisa_Boggs
Jan 20, 2009
Hello,

I’m actually having a similar problem to Danielle’s. I googled "Photoshop CS4 Saving Issues," and this was one out of two things that popped up!

I’m editing a wedding with CS4. I just switched to the trial version and am purchasing in about a week or so. Have been having no issues until the past couple of days. I drag a series of JPEG photos from CS4 Bridge into Photoshop. I edit a JPEG photo with some actions (thereby creating layers), hit "Save As" and I hit "JPEG." It automatically wants to save that file as a "copy" but I delete copy because I want it to save over that file. Typically up pops a box saying "Cancel" or "Replace." About 70% of the time it works, but 30% of the time that box with "Cancel" and "Replace" comes up blank, and I have to force quit Photoshop because it freezes.

I originally thought the problem was my new terabyte hard drive, so I stopped editing on that. Now I’m editing on my actual iMac hard drive (which has 100GB available). But it still keeps happening. Now I’m thinking it has to be a CS4 issue, but I have no idea what. Could it be the actions I’m using? The number of files I open at once? I can’t figure it out. I’m not super computer savvy, so I’m hoping someone can help!

Many thanks in advance,

Lisa
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 21, 2009
Its very unlikely to be anything to do with your Actions, for two reasons: Actions are only processes, and your crash is happening AFTER you ran the action. Its happening when you are saving.

Are you on Mac OSX 10.5? I have noticed that under this OS once in a while Photoshop CS4 is crashing on saving files generally. Its interesting because apparently CS4 was designed using Leopard.
R
Ram
Jan 22, 2009
apparently CS4 was designed using Leopard.

Development of CS4 was started before the release of Leopard, but Adobe did have a working final release of Leopard before CS4 shipped.
B
Buko
Jan 22, 2009
I edit a JPEG photo with some actions (thereby creating layers), hit "Save As" and I hit "JPEG." It automatically wants to save that file as a "copy" but I delete copy because I want it to save over that file.

Jpegs do not support layers.

Jpegs are lossy.
RE
Ramon_Espinoza
Mar 20, 2009
I have the same problem, I notice that photoshop cs4 crashes on saving larges files, on large Im talking about 100mb to 200mb, with multiple layers, working generally on files with 300dpi on resolution mode CMYK.

Every 6 times out of 10, the software crashes, first show the progress bar of the high resolution composite, and then, just before starting writing photoshop document, it crashes.

Is very anoying, I havve tried everything, but nothing works, Ive been looking in the web, but nothing, Is horrible, because I paint in layers, and it just kill me that nothing can be saved. Is Horrible.

With lower files, files with 72dpi, this doesnt happen. Why is this? My guess is the ram. Maybe photoshop ask too many ram to save and dies.

Hope adobe do something about it.
R
Ram
Mar 20, 2009
100 MB to 200 MB are not what we normally call "large files". You should not be having problems saving them. There is something drastically wrong with your machine and Adobe can’t do a thing about that.

I deal with much larger files than that, without any problems.

If you want help, you need to give us very specific details about your setup.

CLICK HERE <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?50@@.2cd06cd9> for advice on how to ask your question correctly for quicker answers. Thanks!

Please read the entire article contained in that link.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 20, 2009
We’re still gathering evidence, but the actual crashes on save are deep in Apple code.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 21, 2009
I had a period when this problem was happening working on 1.5 to 2 gig files. I eventually found that changing the Photoshop Performance settings seemed to affect it, making the problem slightly better. Also make sure you have enough free space.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections