JS
Posted By
janet_schowengerdt
Aug 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I make icons most of the day, every day. Recently my company updated our Adobe programs, including to CS3.

Icon files frequently need to include a 4-bit version of the icon. Sadly, now when I save a file as a 4-bit 16 color image, it crashes PS.

Here is my process:
convert image to indexed color, choose "Custom" and load the 16 color 4-bit color clut, found here: <http://www.gamani.com/download/4bit.act>
It is the standard 16-color table composed of the 16 EGA colors (each color- R, G, and B is either 0, 128, or 255, plus one light grey at 192,192,192).
I choose no other options when converted the file to indexed (no forced colors, etc.).

I’ve been doing this for quite some time in CS2, but the same process in CS3 crashes the software. This is the error I get: Adobe Photoshop CS3 has encountered a problem and needs to close. There are more error details I could provide if anyone needs to see them.

Has anyone else experience this problem?
My current (hopefully temporary) solution is to use CS2.

Thanks,
Jan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PD
Paul_D._Ferguson
Aug 8, 2007
Hi Jan,

I am an engineer on the Photoshop team. I am able to reproduce this, and have opened a bug report. At this point, I don’t have a workaround, but will let you know if I have anything that might help. Sorry you’re having problems with this, and thanks for the detailed description.

Best Regards,

Paul
JS
janet_schowengerdt
Aug 9, 2007
Thanks Paul.

I look forward to the resolution for this- for now I’ll just use the CS2 workaround.

Jan

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections