Posted By
Stephan
Dec 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My color settings are a mess! Help!

I’ve got PS CS and I just got a new digital camera (Canon 10D).

I’ve been reading about color management with CS and I think I’m using a pretty standard setup. My working space is "AdobeRGB" and for Color Management policies I’m using "Preserve Embedded Profiles".

Seems good. I take a picture with the camera, looks great on the camera. Load it to my hard drive, look at it (jpg) using windows explorer and it still looks great.

I open the file in Photoshop, and it looks like crap. All color has been washed out by a strong sepia tone. Very bad color.

The only way I can get PS CS to show good color with my images is to use the following for my working space:

Monitor RGB-Nec Multisync LCD

This then automaticly turns off RGB Color Management policies.

So with my Monitor RGB working space, I can even VIEW-PROOF COLORS and it still looks good.

If I open the image using the AdobeRGB working space (looks bad) and I proof colors to Monitor RGB then the image looks great.

What am I missing??? What am I doing wrong?

Any insight would be helpful!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

S
Stephan
Dec 23, 2003
One more thing, my monitor is a Nec Multisync LCD 1760.

"Stephan" wrote in message

I’ve been reading about color management with CS and I think I’m using a pretty standard setup. My working space is "AdobeRGB" and for Color Management policies I’m using "Preserve Embedded Profiles".

Seems good. I take a picture with the camera, looks great on the camera. Load it to my hard drive, look at it (jpg) using windows explorer and it still looks great.

I open the file in Photoshop, and it looks like crap. All color has been washed out by a strong sepia tone. Very bad color.

The only way I can get PS CS to show good color with my images is to use
the
following for my working space:

So with my Monitor RGB working space, I can even VIEW-PROOF COLORS and it still looks good.

If I open the image using the AdobeRGB working space (looks bad) and I
proof
colors to Monitor RGB then the image looks great.

S
Stephan
Dec 23, 2003

the

This then automaticly turns off RGB Color Management policies. So with my Monitor RGB working space, I can even VIEW-PROOF COLORS and it still looks good.

proof

You need to read this:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm
It saved me from going nuts.

Stephan (photographer also)
M
mscir
Dec 23, 2003
have you tried this free monitor calibration wizard:

http://www.hex2bit.com/products/product_mcw.asp

features of Monitor Calibration Wizard:
– Easy wizard for creating color profiles for you monitor. – Support for an unlimited number of profiles.
– A brightness adjustment of the color profile to match your needs.

Stephan wrote:

One more thing, my monitor is a Nec Multisync LCD 1760.

the

proof

S
Stephan
Dec 23, 2003
"mscir" wrote in message

– Easy wizard for creating color profiles for you monitor. – Support for an unlimited number of profiles.
What is wrong with Adobe Gamma?

Stephan
H
Husky
Dec 23, 2003
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:29:06 GMT, "Stephan" wrote:

http://www.colormatters.com/comput_colorblind.html
use this link b4 you go to work at changing color settings in different programs. Think it says 70% of those on the web, their monitors are color blind. Mine was and since only one or two people ever complained about my washed out pix, it would seem the 70% is fairly accurate. I’ve had to go back thru several hundred pix and add saturation to them to restore some color. more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
M
mscir
Dec 24, 2003
Stephan,

You’re right, that works great… I used it for the first time.

Stephan wrote:

"mscir" wrote in message

What is wrong with Adobe Gamma?

Stephan

A
Auspics
Dec 24, 2003
Switch off colour management!
If you must, for the RGB working space use your monitor’s profile. When you make a print, if the colours are brighter than the monitor shows, use the advanced (colour) mode and desaturate the colours until they look the same.

If you are sending your work to a lab for printing, apply THEIR colour profile before saving the image you will send them. The lab I use has their own ICC profile and I have never had an ‘off-colour’ print from them. Before I changed to them, I used to get prints all over the spectrum from a cheaper lab which didn’t turn out cheaper at all!.

When you open an image, convert it to your working space. The embedded profiles are some other idea of what colour you ‘need’. Embed a profile when the destination of image has it’s own profile otherwise… Leave it alone. Doug

the

proof

TC
Todd Cary
Dec 25, 2003
I use Windows PS 7, Sony flat screen HMD-A240R, Nikon D100 using the Adobe color profile and the profile in PS is also Adobe.

Last night I took a picture in which one of the subjects was wearing a grey sweater and someone else was wearing a white blouse. On the monitor, they look fine, BUT when I send them to my HP 7150 (6 color), they are overly warm. What is confusing is that the white blouse is white.

Is there some documentation on a systematic approach to getting the printer and monitor in sync?

Todd

P.S. The responses so far have been very helpful.

Stephan wrote:

The only way I can get PS CS to show good color with my images is to use the following for my working space:

If I open the image using the AdobeRGB working space (looks bad) and I proof colors to Monitor RGB then the image looks great.

TC
Todd Cary
Dec 25, 2003
I use Windows PS 7, Sony flat screen HMD-A240R, Nikon D100 using the Adobe color profile and the profile in PS is also Adobe.

Last night I took a picture in which one of the subjects was wearing a grey sweater and someone else was wearing a white blouse. On the monitor, they look fine, BUT when I send them to my HP 7150 (6 color), they are overly warm. What is confusing is that the white blouse is white.

Is there some documentation on a systematic approach to getting the printer and monitor in sync?

Todd

Stephan wrote:

S
Stephan
Dec 25, 2003
"Todd Cary" wrote in message
Last night I took a picture in which one of the subjects was wearing a grey sweater and someone else was wearing a white blouse. On the monitor, they look fine, BUT when I send them to my HP 7150 (6 color), they are overly warm. What is confusing is that the white blouse is
white.

If your blouse is white then your image cannot be too warm. What I suspect is that you are judging your prints in the wrong lighting.

Stephan
A
Auspics
Dec 26, 2003
Todd…
Your printer has an ICC profile. probably on the install CD. Switch off colour correction in PS.
Do all your editing and when the pic is right, apply the printer profile and see what happens.
Doug

Last night I took a picture in which one of the subjects was wearing a grey sweater and someone else was wearing a white blouse. On the monitor, they look fine, BUT when I send them to my HP 7150 (6 color), they are overly warm. What is confusing is that the white blouse is
white.

Todd

Stephan wrote:

the

So with my Monitor RGB working space, I can even VIEW-PROOF COLORS and
it
still looks good.

proof

F
Flycaster
Dec 26, 2003
white.

If your blouse is white then your image cannot be too warm. What I suspect is that you are judging your prints in the wrong lighting.

Stephan, though proof lighting is important, that white is "correct" is a red herring. All white means is that the printer is instructed to lay down NO ink. So as long as the paper is "white", he’ll get "white", irrespective of how screwed up the rest of his color management is.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
S
Stephan
Dec 26, 2003
"Flycaster" wrote in message
white.

If your blouse is white then your image cannot be too warm. What I suspect is that you are judging your prints in the wrong
lighting.
Stephan, though proof lighting is important, that white is "correct" is a red herring. All white means is that the printer is instructed to lay
down
NO ink. So as long as the paper is "white", he’ll get "white",
irrespective
of how screwed up the rest of his color management is.
You are right.

Stephan
TC
Todd Cary
Dec 26, 2003
Well, I figured out the problem: the paper! I was using Epson Glossy Photo Paper and when I tried a test print on my Kodax Premium Photo Paper, the grays were neutral and the color cast was absent. Apparently, the HP six color inks react with the Epson paper.

I would like to have any information/thoughts on this.

Todd

Flycaster wrote:

white.

Stephan, though proof lighting is important, that white is "correct" is a red herring. All white means is that the printer is instructed to lay down NO ink. So as long as the paper is "white", he’ll get "white", irrespective of how screwed up the rest of his color management is.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
F
Flycaster
Dec 26, 2003
Well, I figured out the problem: the paper! I was using Epson Glossy Photo Paper and when I tried a test print on my Kodax Premium Photo Paper, the grays were neutral and the color cast was absent. Apparently, the HP six color inks react with the Epson paper.
I would like to have any information/thoughts on this.

Live and learn. Next time, use the right paper.

P
Phil
Dec 29, 2003
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 22:14:36 GMT, Todd Cary
wrote:

Todd

Stephan wrote:

One of many ways to to this might be to go to Image/Mode/Assign Profile, then scroll down until the specific paper for your printer is seen (not the printer itself). The picture may turn quite bluish on your screen but will then print correctly.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections