AH
Posted By
Art_Hughes
May 23, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
this has been a problem i have had for a long time when adjusting my Raws….

can never get the colors to look like the jpeg produced by the camera when shooting Raw + Jpeg for the same photo. if i open the jpeg in photoshop it looks perfect (the exact same as in my image viewers)… but if i open the Raw file of the same image (which looks perfect when viewed in my image viewers) in Camera Raw… and don’t change anything, it never looks the same. the colors, temps, contrast, etc always look altered.

No matter what i change or adjust in Camera Raw i can never get the image to look like the original jpeg. yet for some reason, when i open my raws in my image viewers (both FastStone MaxView and the windows raw image viewer) they look exactly like the should based on the jpegs… but never look the same in Camera Raw.

are there any settings that i can make to my camera raw defaults to have it open exactly as it would look if processed as a jpeg in camera. I would like to start from there, and then alter as needed.

if it matters… i am shooting with a Canon 20D and am using Photoshop CS3, although i had the same troubles in CS2.

this is the last serious hiccup in my color management issues that are finally getting sorted out.

thanks so much to anyone that can help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WE
Wolf_Eilers
May 23, 2007
You have a common problem and the question has been asked (and answered) many times.

Briefly, the jpeg produced by the 20D has been processed according to algorithms and information that is proprietary to Canon. The other viewers you mention use the jpeg preview that is embedded in the CR2 raw file, and therefore look like the Canon jpeg.

Camera Raw (ACR), on the other hand, generates a preview based on Adobe algorithms and from any information in the raw file that is available. Not all the information is available to ACR (e.g. Canon’s Picture Styles — which, by the way, I think are goofy).

But you can tweak any of the ACR develop settings to get as close to Canon’s interpretation as you like. Since you have CS3 and ACR4 you have a powerful combination.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections