LB
Posted By
Larry_Brunt
May 24, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been shooting in sRGB with a Canon EOS 20D in jpeg, importing them into Photoshop CS with sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as my working space and "off" as my color management policy on RGB. I regularly calibrate my monitor with a GreTag MacBeth Eye-One Match 3, which creates a color profile I use on my Plug and Play monitor. I’ve had no problems at all.

Recently, I purchased Lightroom and started shooting in RAW. I have ProPhoto RGB as my working space in Lightroom (as recommended by the manual for calibrated monitors).

I discovered the image conversion from RAW to jpeg looked horrible. So I changed my Photoshop CS color management policy on RGB to "Preserve Embedded Profiles." This seemed to do the trick. The images look great in Lightroom and Photoshop, both as Jpegs and CR2s (Canon’s raw file). The jpegs even look good in Windows Picture Viewer and Filmstrip mode in Windows Explorer. (Web pages and archived photos look and behave fine)

HOWEVER, the thumbnails of my Lightroom-RAW converted jpegs have looked washed out and blanched. When I tried to upload some of these jpeg images today, they looked terrible on my website: again, washed out and blanched, as they are in the thumbnails.

What am I doing wrong? I need help! Urgently! Thank you to anyone who can help me with this

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
May 24, 2007
The web isn’t a colour-managed environment – you need to convert those thumbnails to sRGB before uploading.
LB
Larry_Brunt
May 24, 2007
The jpegs themselves look bad on the web, not just the thumbs (the thumbs look bad in the folder location on my computer. I’ve played around some, and this might be a DNG issue. When I make a DNG from Lightroom and import it into photoshop, and then make a jpeg from there, it seems to work okay (though I’ve discovered, too late, that the DNG won’t contain my Lightroom edits; for that I create a TIFF, which seems to work).

So was that the problem all along? All this color management/workspace/profile stuff is beyond me, and I want to make sure I’m doing it right.
L
LenHewitt
May 25, 2007
If you set your Proof Colours to Monitor RGB, by viewing Proof Colours you will see how your images will look (on your monitor) once uploaded.

As the web is not (generally) a colour managed environment, it displays all images in the *user’s* monitor RGB – now that is likely to be close to sRGB. Consequently all images for web use should be converted to sRGB before uploading.

In fact, if you use Save for Web, all profiles (and other meta data) will be stripped from the image which means they download quicker.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections